View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 The problem with education 
All-star
All-star

Last week a colleague and I were discussing what we see as the major problems with education in our country. He worries that we do not take high achievers as high as they can go, that they are limited by the "one size fits all" curriculum, that the most time and the best teachers are spent on the lower performing students. I agree that all these can and do occur, but I feel like the major issue is with the teachers and their training/competency...one crappy teacher is one too many! We did agree that better teachers in general would help with the issues he worries about...I'm just curious, assuming you do think there is a serious issue that has been overlooked or at least too often ignored in education, what do you think it is? Nothing fancy, just your gut feeling...

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Hi Angela:

I believe agree with your colleague. The one-size fit all curriculum has a two-edge sword. The low kids also experience problems. About 15 years ago, the high schools in Forsyth County was divided into three sections--basic; average, and honors. I guess this was a form of tracking, and it was stopped. I taught the basic class and the honors classes, which was good for me as a teacher, in that I could see the benefit of it. All of the classes did well because they worked at their levels. I do believe it was beneficial. I enjoyed it because I was not burnt out by just working with the low kids. I challeged both groups, and got great results. I think Forsyth came up with the Magnet Schools to balance education, somewhat, for the high achievers.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:35 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with your colleague as well. I think NCLB has made the problem even worse. If teachers have time to differentiate, they have to focus on the lower end rather than the higher end. Unless the gifted kids are causing a problem, they usually get ignored (the squeaky wheel gets oiled!!).

Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:49 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]