View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Kozol 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Would somebody please tell me how, in this age of litigation when someone gets a hangnail, the lawyers and liberal ACLU and other lawsuit-loving organizations have let this type of situation continue? Eventually, as shown by Leandro, there has to be some kind of justice meted out for those inner city families. However, until the families themselves demand change, I'm not sure legislation will be forthcoming.

Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:09 pm
All-star
All-star

It seems that this is an endless cycle. If the families don't have any real concept on how to make this change happen, when will the cycle end? It seems there are a few teachers and principals mentioned in the book that try to make a difference, but they seem few and far between. The majority of the teachers and principals seem to bring a negative attitude concerning the school environment. I know that the schools mentioned in the Observer articles aren't in as severe of a situation as these schools, but as noted by those articles, could strong leadership be a beginning?

Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm afraid I'll say hello in the wrong tone of voice and be sued and yet children live and try to learn in such conditions. It is sad and says a lot about our society. Janet Jackson brings more righteous indignation than children being denied an education. Maybe if the press got involved something would change.

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]