View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 school funding data 
All-star
All-star

While I was on the D.P.I. website this morning, I found tables of data on per pupil expenditure, county appropriations, supplemental taxes, etc for the 2001-2002 school year. This data is very similar, possibly identical, to the data that we looked at in class several weeks ago.
If interested, go to
www.dpi.state.nc.us
Reports and Statistics
Selected Financial Data

Have a great weekend!
Elizabeth

Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:45 am
All-star
All-star

Thanks for the link. I am saving to the desktop as I write! Did you notice the link announcing that NC SAT rose five points? It will be a long time before NC uses end of grade tests, porfolios or anything besides the SAT!

Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:25 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/18/minori ... index.html

Another interesting study came out yesterday, spelling out the differences for the increasing wealth gap in America. I've included the URL if anyone would like to read it. BMS

Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:47 am
All-star
All-star

Did I miss something? How can the recession have ended when jobs continue to be lost and not replaced. This must be some political mystery which I am incapable of understanding.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Profile WWW

I agree, Paula. In the debates the president talked about all the jobs that have been created, (forgive me if this seems political, because I don't mean it to be) and said that the number of jobs created doesn't wash with what was lost, but that it's improving. I don't get it either, and I blame the mass media for not actually analyzing deeply enough exactly what and where these jobs are.

I actually debated whether and where to post this article. It's alarming on two fronts; first, the wealth gap is widening which has implications if you consider that schools are funded by property taxes. If many of these Hispanic and Black workers are living where they can afford to, what does this study say about funding for their local schools?
The second alarming fact is that of all the jobs created, the majority of them are not jobs that pay wages that will support a family and long range planning. The types of jobs created though, do support the paycheck to paycheck trap, which is a scary thing.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:31 am
All-star
All-star

I'm glad you posted the article. It makes our what we have been reading real. Nickle and Dimed seems more vivid, which isn't a positive thing when you stop to think about it. And you are right. Funding for minority schools will be even lower than in the past. When will government stop pusing tests and start pushing education?

Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]