View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Sudbury Valley School 
All-star
All-star

The website for The Sudbury Valley School is ...
www.sudval.org
It still bothers me that there is an eight year old who is not reading yet. Elizabeth

Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks for posting the web address. I am also still bothered by this type of education. After looking at the website, I can't say that I feel anymore confident in this system. I was interested to read what the alumni had to share. I found the comments to be less persuasive since they were not accompanied by a name or title. It would seem if the alumni felt strongly about this learning environment they would be eager to include their name with the comment. Also, I would think that Sudbury would be boasting about their alumni's accomplishments...who they are and what they are doing now.

On the other hand, if the parents are willing to pay $5400.00 per year, surely they know something I don't!?!

Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hi Miss Elizabeth! I too am troubled by the type of "education" the kids at Sudbury are getting. I have been very deeply steeped in the traditional view of what an education is. And Sudbury definitely is "NOT" something that fits my definition. There's so much that kids need to be exposed to that they will never see if we leave them to their own choices at such an early age. I'm not saying that everything they are exposed to has to be mastered but these kids may never even be exposed to them. A deficient as public education can be at times, it is still head and shoulders above Sudbury, in my opinion.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:43 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks for posting the website address. I had in my notes to do research on the system and then my weakened brain turned to Thanksgiving dressing. But according to the Sudbury model hey that's okay. Whenever I decide to get moving it's all right. Don't you wish the IRS felt that way?

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]