View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 What is intelligence and how can we measure it? 
All-star
All-star

The discussion the other night about the measurability (sp?) left me thinking. I'm still stuck on whether or not it is possible to accurately measure intelligence. I do think there is a latent intelligence that crosses cultural, racial, ethnic, and geographic lines. I just don't know how to access it.

I just read an article in Reader's Digest about two men that did research on facial expressions. They wanted to know if facial expressions were the same regardless of culture, race, ethnicity, geography, and the like. They took showed pictures of facial expressions to people in Japan, India, and even remote tribes in Africa. What they found was that facial expressions are uniform across all the different variables. Their research has been going on since 1960!!!

I'm sure there are diligent scientists and psychometricians trying right now to solve the problem of how to accurately measure intelligence! They just need a "Chauncey" to buy into their ideas, because after all, it's not about what you know, it's about who you know.

oh by the way, this is ben!

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:08 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

That was a thought provoking discussion the other night. I agree that there is a latent intelligence in all of us. I also agree that it would be hard to measure it. I say this because I believe the experiences we have, what we are exposed to, and our own drive and determination affect our intelligence. I do not think that intelligence is as black and white as the IQ test would suggest. Like Kathy brought up in class, there is a "book smart" intelligence and a common sense intelligence. As teachers, how many times have we said, "If only I could take that child home with me"? Why do we say that? Environment and our own personal initiative can't help but have some influence on our intelligence whether it is the "book smart" or common sense kind.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Post IQ
There is no doubt in my mind that environment affects a person's intelligence. I made the same statement in class that you did Sandra, "If we could only take that child home with us." Working and thinking about the students I work with every day that have learning problems, the majority come from poor backgrounds. Most, not all have ignorant parents as well. I don't mean that in a mean way, they just aren't very smart and many could care less. We all know there are many factors that contribute to learning disabilities and mental handicapps, but if brought up in a healthy nournishing environment could these disabilities be overcome or at least compensated for. I think so. As educators I believe our attitude and support to a home makes all the difference in the world. We have to show we care even though some parents make it almost impossible.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:54 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

What is being said is there is a great deal of varience in "intelligence" based on the environment within which one lives. My question, is this intelligence? It seems that we are not creating anything, but cultivating what is already in existence. If that is the case, are we increasing intelligence? There is some innate ability, but I don't think we will ever be able to access a true number or measure.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:05 pm
All-star
All-star

It looks like you have described cultural capital. Is that intelligence? An if we can increase our IQ (SAT scores can be increased) is intelligence innate?

Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have a hard time thinking that intelligence is innate. I believe that what you might call ability to learn is innate. Heredity has something to do with what you are able to learn. Also, learning has to come from what your exposed to, especially as a youngster.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:14 am
All-star
All-star

Ben,
I think the fallacy of measuring intellingence is that it does not also measure motivation. An unmotivated student is looked upon as being less intelligent than an outgoing, motivated student. Motivation and work ethic are just as important as innate intelligence. Coming up with an arbitrary intelligence number is nonsense anyway. Unless the student is willing to work, a number will carry the student only so far.
(: John

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]