View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Seattle Times article: teacher-student relationships 
All-star
All-star

In one of our readings for this week's class (No Child Left Behind: Test-obsessed education won't move us ahead), the author states that when we move students from one teacher to the next each year of elementary school, we are failing to make use of an important variable - that teacher/student bond that is such an vital factor in student achievement. I just spoke with a teacher this weekend (in another class) who is "looping" this year - this is the second year that she has had exactly the same 24 students. She is convinced that both she and her students have learned more from this two-year relationship than they would have learned in different classrooms. This arrangement does seem beneficial to me - not only would a teacher form a better relationship with the student, but with the student's family as well, but this would probably not work in a school such as mine in which the turnover rate is so high. Sandi Johnson

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a friend who teaches at a magnet school in Raleigh who "looped" with her students for 3 years. She knew the research suggested this would be a positive move, one good for the students, but she was concerned that she would get tired of the same students. She was pleasantly surprised and said she would do it again.

My school is also a "revolving door" when it comes to students moving in and out. Looping would be difficult because of this, but I would be willing to give it a try. When I retain a student, I always keep him/her because I know the academic and family background. I don't see that looping would be any different. I do think that teachers, administrators, and parents ought to have the right to request that a child no longer be part of a looping class if there are valid reasons.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I had the opportunity to "loop" with my students while in the middle school. It was absolutely wonderful. I did not have to waste a lot of time "reveiwing" to see what they knew, because I knew what we did the previous year and their grasp of the material. Those students are now sophmores in college and email me regularly to let me know how they are doing.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I am a product of "looping". I had the same teacher for grades 1-3, and we changed classes with 2 other teachers. It was a great experience as we built relationships which have lasted a life time. My teachers knew my strengths and needs and were able to address the skills. This was in the middle sixties. ( I started school at age 2-yeah right!!!)
Today I keep the same students for two years. It is a wonderful way to introduce the educational world to parents and build upon the needs of students.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:09 pm
All-star
All-star

Looping appears to be one of the new waves in education. The wave will not be everywhere of course, but looping is becoming more attractive to many teachers and administrators. It would be easier to function in a elementary school of course, but here in Caldwell County our largest high school is working on it. This year's new freshmen were split into groups (oh no, there is that grouping problem) and will stick with the same core group of teachers for 4 years. Not sure how it will work out, but it is in the works. I see it as a benefit for some things and a hazard for others. As a math teacher, it is good to be specific because the teacher can master a few classes really well, but when you teach 2 different classes each semester, the teacher knowledge and ability has to suffer. The next few years will answer the question.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:20 pm
All-star
All-star

Last year I "looped" with my students. This was a wonderful experience for all involved. The parents and students did not have to transition to a new set of rules and regulations. On the first day of school we skipped the traditional get to know each other and began where we had left off. At the end of the year all my students passed the Reading EOG and all but one passed the Math. The following week he passed it as well. Most of my students scored 4's. In the local paper I noticed that 2/3 of them made the A or A/B Honor roll this year, in Middle School. Each of these children and parents hold a special place in my heart. Many of them still drop by to talk about school and see me. I would gladly do the "loop" again.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I am so glad to read about your positive experiences with looping. I am working on a plan to loop either 8th grade and 9th grade, to help students transition of high school or loop from 9th to 10th grade to reduce drop outs by forming those bonds you all described. I am encouraged to continue to work on the plan.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Sandi,
I believe looping is a wonderful idea. When we built the 4 new middle schools here in Wilkes County, I suggested that they do this at the middle school. I had thought seriously about going to the East Middle to work. I thought it would be great to begin with a group of students as 6th graders and continue with them until they went to high school. That's kind of the way it is for me now. I've worked with many of these kids since they were in kindergarten. We become very close. There's a bonding between us as well as a special bond with the parents. I believe it's a good idea. Like any situation if there's bad blood for a personality conflict it could be bad.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:57 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Your last point is one of the negatives. If there is a conflict (with student or parent) then you have the situation where looping is not the best way to accomplish our goal. Of course, looping can be the overall procedure with individual scheduling as a fallback for these situations. Much like many things we accomplish in education, just because it is a good idea, it may not work in all situations.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]