View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Grouping all EC students on one team 
All-star
All-star

Eric,
Two years ago the middle school that I was at decided to develop a third team. The students on the team were EC and those that scored 1 on the 7th grade EOC's. We were not assisted by the EC teacher; the EC students were still pulled for math or English as needed. However, the results were disasterous. The math teacher and I (I taught both science and social studies), both transferred to Wilkes county the following year and a year later the English teacher left and went to Catawba county. The kids were looked at as being the "dumb" team. As a team of teachers we were the only team without input on the leadership committee. It could have worked, but in a middle school setting we had competitions (both fun sports and academic). The kids were quite aware of the fact that they had been "grouped".

Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

At the elementary level there only self-contained classes that house entire groups of EC students, but there are teachers who seem to get more than their fair share. They are told it is because they are "good teachers" and can "handle" the learning challenges posed by these students. In most cases the teacher is blind-sided with this information on the first day of the new school year and has very little time to make preparations. I know about this because it happens to me almost every year. One year 11 of my 22 students were EC and left the room for services. With the Hispanic migration to Wilkes County in the recent years, the Hispanic students are now being done this way. It is not that I mind working with EC or Hispanic students, it's just that other teachers may only have 3 or 4 EC and Hipanic students total. I see them leaving the building at 3:30 and I am still there working on materials or meeting with the EC teachers planning. It is extremely rewarding when I see these children understanding and learning concepts, but it is also very frustrating when I have presented a concept every which way under the sun and they still cannot seem to catch on.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:20 pm
All-star
All-star

As administrators, this is definitly one of the problems we will have to address in the future. We understand that things are not right today, but what is the real answer for the future? It is definitly not simple and I hope some of us come up with a good solution. If you do, let me know, because I have no idea. This is one of our toughest administration problems.
Ken

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not in favor of grouping every EC on the same team. I have been faced with that before. I taught that EC team for three years because my fellow teacher and I seemed to have that "Knack". It was not fair to the students, but it was legal. In the school I now work I face scheduling dilemmas. I will ultimately place the kids on a specific team. The problem is finding a schedule to accomdate the needs of all the students while they are scattered throughout all teams. The ultimate priority is making sure that students are served. If that is not done adequately then you will lose your job. I do not envy any EC teacher's job.

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not really in favor of ability grouping kids either, but I have seen it work. I'll use Kathy Wagoner as an example. I did inclusion with Kathy for a couple of years. The first year we were learning how each other worked. The second year we were great together. We could almost answer each others thoughts. Kathy is very dedicated as well as competitive. She loves to take on a good challenge, whether its an EC kid or a slow learner. Dedication and the love of children is what it takes. We can never ever give up on any child. I don't care how low their ability level, they can and will learn. It may not be at the rate we want it to be but they will show progress if we help them believe in themselves.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:26 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

As Sharon stated above, grouping with EC children can work with the right team. Our students show growth because we care and beleive in them. I have never been upset because I have what is considered the students who score lower than average. However, I have seen many teachers talk and complain about having EC students. I just can't see how that is a productive stituation for anyone.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]