View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Talking Gorillas 
All-star
All-star

I think this is going to be an interesting book :!:

oh by the way, this is ben!

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:53 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Ismael has a different viewpoint than most of us in our current society. I read the book and then thought about the significance of the author writing from the perspective of a gorilla, and tried to understand why he felt it was necessary to do so. Not sure what each of you will think, but for most people it is hard to observe situations when you are in the middle of it. I have been in a situation many times and then once the "smoke" cleared, I thought of a number of more appropriate ways to handle the situation. If we are to understand a situation, it is important to step out of the situation, make observations and then act. In society, how do we "step out"? I believe he chose the gorilla to observe, because we as a culture do not have the ablilty to have the same perspective. Even reading the book and being at least semi-intelligent, it is still an impossible act to ever really think about changing our culture's path. We understand that unless changes occur in the future, the earth will cease to function, but we still will not change our way. I am sure the world will be around for my life and my kids, so hopefully someone will be able to figure out the future before we destroy the earth. Does that sound selfish? Probably so, and that will be our undoing in the end. What do we do?

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I must say, I really did not care for this book. Most of the writing is choppy and it seems so contrived that I am amazed that it won the Turner Tomorrow Fellowship. My son told me that some of his friends were reading and discussing this book last summer at Brown and that made me wonder if I am just too old and jaded to be inspired by Ishmael - perhaps the idealism of youth is necessary. I do believe wholeheartedly in the possibility of turning an individual life around, but to change an entire culture seems unlikely. Sandi Johnson

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Ben,
Not much of a start for a new posting but I will reply anyway. This book is the reason I take these courses. This is a book that makes me stop and take stock of what I am doing and what direction my life is taking. This is a great book and I think should be required reading for high school seniors (maybe AG kids-for Pat & Patti). It really explains some philosophical and even some biblical questions. Thank you Dr. Turner for bringing this book to my attention.
John
P.S. Ben, were you the body double for Danny Wahlberg in those commercials?

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:35 am
All-star
All-star

I loved this book. It has been my favorite so far. At first I wondered if maybe the gorilla was chosen from a Darwinian viewpoint becuase of the religious references. I know think that it simply wouldn't have been as effective if it were another man in the sessions.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:55 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I was wrong.

I didn't find it interesting at all. I found myself skipping forward 20 pages or so to see if there was something better ahead.

oh by the way, this is ben!

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:36 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

The book had a few interesting theories. Nothing earth-shattering. The writing had an easy flow to it. Not a problem to read. I am surprised about the amount of attention it has received. I can't see that it warrants it. I do not feel it should be required reading for any high school student or freshman in college. Perhaps the attention it received could be due to the fact that the majority of media agrees with the contents. I realize that is not a popular notion, but I feel it is plausible.

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:21 pm
All-star
All-star

This book related ideas from a different perspective. Sometimes it is hardest to reach out to another perspective and try to understand the meaning behind the words. The theories are not new but are presented in a new light. The species of man has free will and has used it accordingly to the mandates of the culture. The free will of man is a spiritual gift and the right or wrong use of it is based upon a person's own reality. Do we as a culture use our free will to care for the environment of the earth and those who inhabit the earth or to destroy? Do we use our free will to make choices that equality can be achieved for all who are diverse or ignore the smallest steps needed to take to begin this process? How does our culture influence our free will? Just some thoughts.....

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]