View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Takers vs. Leavers 
All-star
All-star

:? I put this in this morning, but it isn't showing up so here goes again. I'm really confused reading this book. I've started over twice. I'm having a difficult time understanding what the real purpose of the book is. I have to admit that I went to the end of the book and reading the ending today. It was sad. I guess I was a little more into the book than I thought. What is the meaning of "Takers and Leavers"? Are the "Takers" the people in the world who try to take over and run the world? Do they use the "Leavers" to get the work done? What about those "Leavers"? What is their part in society.
:idea: I did get something from this book that probably has nothing to do with what I should be understanding. I love the way Ishmael teaches the man. He does just lecture him on ideas, he leads the man through discovering the concepts he wants him to learn. That's the way it should be for the students we teach. They will retain the information much better if they have discovered it on their own.
:idea: I have come to the conclusion that one focus of the book is to demonstrate how humans are destroying the world we live in. OK help me out here. What does all this mean? See ya Tuesday!

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:01 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Sharon, if you go to the website www.ishmael.org there is a section with approximately 500 questions about this book that have been answered by the author. There are several questions that have to do with Leavers and Takers. Hope that helps - Sandi Johnson

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:08 pm
All-star
All-star

Sharon,
This book is trying to show two things. First it is explaining how we became takers and what that has done to our civilization. When we came to be producers and no longer were hunters-gatherers, we saw the world as being what we could get out of the world for our immediate benefit. We saw the world as being here to serve humans and as a place to live in harmony with nothing. The animals and plants were here to be exploited. We were now in a struggle with nature and not in harmony with nature. The purpose of the world is to serve humans since we have made ourselves gods of the Earth. Since we are god, we believe that all of our actions are good. But since we are not really gods, we continue to strive to make the physical world a heaven. You are a Christian like me and I know you are aware of the limits of the physical world. This insatiable appetite we have can never be satified but how do you tell a god that.
Your buddy,
John

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:46 am
All-star
All-star

Sharon,

One important aspect I got from this book was how the Takers increase food production to deal with an increase in population. However, the increase only results in an even more need. The Leavers understand the need for population control and how elements of nature force them to deal with this problem rather than simply increase the supply of food.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Sharon,

Read the last paragraph on page 84. I think this does a nice job summing up what we as people (Takers) are doing to the Earth. We are killing the planet and know this. Yet we don’t make the changes needed to sustain life forever. Scary!

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]