View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Good vs. Evil 
All-star
All-star

Pg. 165

“The knowledge of good and evil is fundamentally the knowledge the rulers of the world must exercise, because every single thing they do is good for some but evil for others. This is what ruling is all about, isn’t it?â€

Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it definitely relates to our future profession. There is no way we can make decisions that will keep a building full teachers, the central office, parents, and students happy all of the time. The goal we should have everyday is to do whatever is best for the academic success of the students.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:56 pm
All-star
All-star

In a faith based world, good and evil are not relative. In all faiths there is write and wrong, good and evil. These precepts are laid out in foundational form...the ten commandments are a good example. So, although I see your point that some may interpret "my" faith as wrong or evil, from my point of view they are just applying what I call relativism. Relativism is saying that you can believe whatever you believe because I believe what I believe...You can be right and I can be right. However, most faiths, including my own, believe in an absolute reality, or an absolute truth. I believe I am right, and if your opinion differs from mine, then you are wrong.

oh by the way, this is ben!

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:54 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I don't think that trying to please everyone is necessarily doing what is right. As a future principal, my main goal will be to do what is best for students. I am no fool - I also do what I need to do to keep my job. (Think Central Office :)

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, I see that this applies to our future jobs! Someone will always be on the receiving end of the "good" and the other end of the "evil." The very best we can do will be to stay true to ourselves - our convictions and beliefs, and to keep our goals according to what is best for children.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:29 am
All-star
All-star

I think that our future WILL be full of times when we are not sure about the best steps to take, but as Kristine said, be true to the beliefs that brought you to the position. And of course, the most important part of education is the student. I know there are times when we will have disagreements with either those in front of us on the education ladder or others behind us, but if we always portray our desires for student success, then those who disagree will at least understand our position. We can never hope to have 100% agreement.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:01 pm
All-star
All-star

Dr. Jenkins spoke of Bedrock Beliefs. Good vs. Evil is HUGE! Your belief system will determine how you respond to a situation. That will also determine how you sleep that night. My principalship will be based on what is in the best interest of the kids in the large scale picture. My faith will play into my role. If it didn't then I would be a hypocrite. I do believe there are absolute right and wrongs types of thinking. Any principal that does not feel that way will get lost in the shuffle.

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]