View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Reality 
All-star
All-star

Quinn talks about how the human population works hard during the day, and then goes home, uses drugs or watches TV, trying to forget. Day in and day out, year after year, people just stay in this fog. Are they hiding from their own lives? I don’t think they are worried, like Quinn would lead us to believe, about the world that they are going to leave their children. So what it is? Why do they feel the need to escape reality?

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Andy, I believe that people find life too hard and try to escape.For whatever reason the life that they are leading is painful to them. That is the reality they are living. The self-involvement does not lend itself to be concerned with the future of others or for their own welfare. The motivation, courage, desire- whatever you may term it- is just not there for some people.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:20 am
All-star
All-star

I believe individuals possess free will. While Ismael had acquired knowledge, and I feel it is limited knowledge, we did not seem to possess the free will humans use daily. Sometimes it is easier to chose not to chose but that too is a choice.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:18 pm
All-star
All-star

My question is this. Who among us really, truely cares about the future of the earth? I hear a few people complain about what is going on in the earth, but not really many people who appear to be acting upon their thoughts. I mean it like this I suppose; for me I hope that in the future inventions will be found to enable the earth to survive, but unless something is found, the earth will cease to exist. But do I worry so much about it that it changes ANYTHING in my life? Not at all. I am still using up the resourses of the earth and dumping my trash with everybody elses. My hope may be just like the book of course. I am flying and do not notice the ground approaching at an alarming rate. Scary thought of course, but hopefully my grandkids can fix it, because I don't seem to be doing anything at all.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:16 pm
All-star
All-star

When there are six billion people in the world, it's hard to believe that any single one of us can have very much of an impact on our environment but we should still do whatever we can to make a difference. After all, it's no big deal if I recycle one aluminum can, but if 6 billion people each recycle one can, it does make a difference. I feel the same way about my job - I am realistic enough to know that I can't influence every child to become an avid reader and an effective information-seeker, but I know that I have touched the lives of some students who have no one else to encourage them or take an interest in them and that gives meaning to my life. Sandi Johnson

Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the reason why people do all those behaviors is that they do not have a positive self image. They do not see the big picture. People can say that some people are too bad off to see that picture. Some are in situations I can not hope to understand. What I do know is that if you are only looking to yourself for answers you will come up short eventually. A change in that image must start from thiside out. I don't think it is easy, but I do feel it is possible.

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]