View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Lisa Delpit 
All-star
All-star

I enjoyed reading the article by Lisa Delpit although I disagreed with some of her statements. It always bugs me when someone talks about "educating black children" or "educating white children" as though all children of a particular race can be lumped together. As I have stated in class before, in my elementary school of approximately 600, almost all are children of color, almost all economically disadvantaged, but they are fascinating individuals. Our classes are small because we are a Title I school and our teachers are really great about trying to figure out the best way to connect with each child. At the beginning of this school year, our entire staff, including the administrators, visited the homes of our prospective kindergartners (in groups of 3-4, with at least one Spanish-speaking person in each group) to extend a personal invitation to come to Open House and we had wonderful attendance. Anyway, I wanted to learn a little bit more about Lisa Delpit and see what she looked like (inquiring minds want to know...) so I started browsing the web and found a program on NPR that not only had a little interview with Lisa Delpit but Jonathan Kozol as well and I thought I'd share it with the group - http://www.pbs.org/merrow/tmr_radio/pgm6/guests.html#. Sandi Johnson

Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I enjoyed this article too. The kind of teaching Lisa Delpit was writing about, the "skills vs. process approach," is an important curriculum issue in our schools today. The writing program in our county mirrors what she wrote about on page 33 in this article. I have a 15 minute mini-lesson most everyday. We also do a lot of individual student conferencing where the student and I look at the rubric and go over his/her paper. Like was stated in the article, this takes the guess work out of it. The students know exactly what their paper must contain in order to get a good score. I am giving them the "code." Direct instruction, or I say modeling, is very important because most children do not consider themselves to be good writers. However, when you take the guess work out of it, I have found they don't dread writing as much as they once did. I have also found that this not only helps my disadvantaged students, but the others as well.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:42 pm
All-star
All-star

One of the main difficulties in education is that so few are really taught to write. Many teachers follow the "bad" example given in the book and allow others to do their work for them. If our job/profession is to teach, should we not be giving our all to show our students what is required of them in our class and by the world? To do less, is to fail at our ultimate goal.
Ken

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:07 am
All-star
All-star

Sandi,
I don't like to clump children together on racial lines either. I think every child has unique learning qualities and simply being direct with one race and indirect with another is short changing every student. Teachers need to get to know each student and teach each student according to his/her abilities.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]