View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 EC Teachers and NCLB 
All-star
All-star

We have been discussing the inclusion of Ec students and grouping students according to abilities in the classroom. What impact will the new ruling of NCLB, ( EC teachers are not "highly qualified"), have on the classroom tachers and the EC teachers? How will this effect the placement of students? Do you think we will lose EC teachers because they are no longer"highly qualified" unless they are certified in the content areas they teach?

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:05 pm
All-star
All-star

Val,

I think this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:49 pm
All-star
All-star

The concept of highly qualified teachers is great. Although I don't think NCLB has been thoroughly thought out. I don't think schools will lose EC teachers. This too shall pass.

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:28 am
All-star
All-star

Val,
I believe they will have to back down on this law. EC teachers are already extremely hard to find. We're not going to stop having students with disabilities, and there are laws to protect those students too. I still don't understand "highly qualified". Personally, I think I'm pretty darn qualified to teach the students I work with. I'm not a certified English teacher or a certified math teacher, but I've taken many of the same courses that Elementary teachers have taken. I don't believe they had to be certified in reading, math, social studies, science, writing, etc. I believe something will have to give.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:03 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Walk into any EC Classroom and you will see Highly Qualified teachers pouring their heart out to teach children. Many of the EC teachers have had more training then many of us. I think considering EC teachers as anything other than highly qualified is a mistake that must be addressed.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:43 pm
All-star
All-star

Do you think this will change the way resource teachers will operate? Will there be more inclusion in the classrooms? How will this challenge the teachers?
I agree this is a mess. EC teachers are among the most qualified and expectations are great for them. I do not understand the difference between a teacher in an elementary setting who teaches most subject areas and a teacher of exceptional children according to the "highly qualified " label. How was this decision made?

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]