View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Do we treat students of color differently? 
All-star
All-star

I found myself becoming a little defensive while reading Lisa Delpit's article. It made all white teachers seem like terrible teachers and all black teachers seem perfect. There are good and bad in every race. It did make me stop and reflect on my teaching. I had to ask myself, did I treat my black students differently. Actually, I believe I work even harder for my black students. I think maybe this is another point she brings out. Sometimes we put on a show for the students of color. We do actually treat them differently, not bad, but different. What do you think?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:44 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Sharon...As a teacher, I was much harder on my Black students than others, because life is harder for us. Often times they hated me and their parents loved me. Many of these students came back to thank me for insisting they do better than 'OK'. They said that their teachers did not care how well they did as long as they were quiet and did not misbehave. I'm not generalizing about all White teachers, this is just what some former students told me.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Sharon, I think we do treat others of a different culture differently. Sometimes I believe it is by choice and other times it is not a conscious approach but a reaction by our preconceived ideas. I find that I have different approaches to students of different cultures - I didn't realize it until it was pointed out to me. My tone of voice and my physical stance is different. the article discussed the way a black teacher would speak to a black child for clear expectations and the approach a white teacher would make by implying the expectations. My teacher assistant is black and is very direct to the black students. I viewed this as being "hard" on the students and we have had lots of discussion on this topic. It has been helpful to have a great relationship where we can communicate. I find being so direct uncomfortable at times. It feels unnatural to communicate to the students in that manner, but I find that when I do the students are clearer with expectations - All students. ( but not their parents)

Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]