View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Without Sanctuary:Lynching in America 
All-star
All-star

These postcards bothered me a lot. They were very graphic! I did not/would not look at many of them. I did read about the ones I viewed however. Apparently I am missing something, but I do not see the connection between this and what we are discussing in class and in our reading. I know terrible and unjust things like this happened and they should never be forgotten, but please help me to understand the relevance. I do not see how looking at these postcards will help me in a leadership position.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:07 pm
All-star
All-star

Sandra, I too was repulsed by the photos and the comments. It is difficult to think that the era that this happened was not so long ago. I would like to think as humans we have gone beyond this type of violence but look around the world and it is in our face. The showings on the internet and the TV with the beheadings of captives by terrorists. Mankind has not really changed -though we would like to think our culture is different.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:12 pm
All-star
All-star

Sandra,
I think they are important because the pictures remind us of why there may be animosity among the races. We are a culmination of all the previous events that have influenced our lives. These pictures show us why one race may not trust another. The best way to predict the future is to study the past. We must be constantly aware of how closely we remain to our violent past.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:11 am
All-star
All-star

One of the things that disturbed me most about the postcards is that I do not believe that we as a society are that far removed from these times. No, I don't believe that any of us would be in the pictures if they were taken today, but just looking at the evening news would tell us that as a society we are not in a utopia. Why did "decent" folks of the time engage in such things? I believe that it was because it was accepted by society and the citizens "did" consider the blacks to be inferior. The problem today is that we as a society still demonstrate these inner thoughts on a daily basis. Can it happen again? I think so, and that is a sad statement for our current society.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Ken & John.....I totally agree with you. For me the postcards were hard to look at. Actually after I looked at the first two, I felt myself becoming angry and decided not to look at others. I do not have any ancestors, that I know of, to be lynched, but some suffered other atrocious acts against them. I think we must be aware of the past in order understand current interactions among the races.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:48 am
All-star
All-star

Val,
You are right about the beheadings by the terrorists. I hadn't connected the emotions but know I realize that viewing the postcards upset me both physically and emotionally the same way as the beheadings. Have you noticed that our media is not reporting the terrorists killings as often? Has our media been informed to "tone it down"?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:13 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

When I think about racism in society today I'm often troubled by the very fact that those times aren't very far removed...my mother remembers separate drinking fountains...and my grandmother tells a story of getting yelled at for sitting...guess where...in the back of the bus.

I can only hope that the progress that has been made to date will only multiply with future generations...things are getting better, but are they getting better fast enough?

oh by the way, this is ben!

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:01 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The pictures on the postcards were hideous images. I blows my mind that a person can get such pleasure vile acts commited against another human. Even when an animal kills a person and is hunted down and killed, there is not the mutalation and fan fare evident in these pictures. When it really hit home is when I read the caption on one of the pictures and saw that it happend so close to home.........Salsbury.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]