View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Without Santuary 
All-star
All-star

The "lynching" website is very valuable for educators. I constantly hear from teachers and members of the community that the war is over or it wasn't my fault so why don't they just move on. These pictures show why it isn't so easy to move on. When black kids see the picture of Emmit Till or hear the horror stories from their grandparents, they realize they are not far removed from the segregated society that allowed this activity to occur. Dr. Turner's story of the Jewish family hearing the cordless phone conversation reminds us of just how far we haven't come in terms of discrimination or paranoia. I know people who would participate in lynching or who would like to see Jews kept out of the community. This is what scares me because these are people within my own community.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

john, I agree that there are people in this world today that still would like to hold lynchings and this will all ways be a problem. I sometimes have a problem dealing with this issue, because I think I block it out of my mind and only deal with what is in front of me. However, in the future (yours and mine) I'm sure there will be an issue that we will have to deal with that crosses this very topic. Will we be able to handle this in the fashion that has both interest at hand. Even though we won't agree with one side, will we be compassionate?

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:39 pm
All-star
All-star

Ken,
I too try to block this type of imagery from my mind. It is not a concious decision but more likely because I want to believe that everyone lives by the same belief in "doing unto others." I was astounded to realize that this was still taking place in the 1950's. After class I found myself looking at my students and thinking this was only one generation removed from them! The fear their grandparents must have lived in (and passed on to their children) horrifies me.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:00 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

At one time in a high school the teachers would not show the movie "Gone With the Wind" to students b/c of the way it protraited blacks. It was finally the black students who said, we all need to see it b/c that is the only way to prevent it from happening again. It has to be and in your face sort of thing. If we don't confront our predjudious we will never move on. The teachers now show "Gone With the Wind" and have very powerful discussions. Finally, the answer to why we study history realized by students in a very real way.

Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:49 pm
All-star
All-star

More and more reasons why we should use this type of experience in our classrooms at the appropriate times. Not saying we should use this website for all classes, but it definitly fits into many areas of high school study. No, we as a society are that far removed from these times. It is one of the things that we should learn from history so we do not repeat it here. As you and I both know though, it IS going on in other parts of the world. But that is another story for another day. Hopefully we will not see these things happen again in our society, but it is not outside the realm of possibility. That is a sad statement for our current society.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:30 am
All-star
All-star

As a fifth grade teacher, United States History is a major aspect of my curriculum. I speak openly with my students about slavery and the impact slavery had on the US. I am often shocked at how little my students know about how different our world was for African Americans, Women, Native Americans and many other different ethnic groups. Without Sanctuary really opened my eyes to a world I never experienced. I was appalled at how little I really knew.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I try to block out the images those photographs brought on too. It is so hard for me to believe we still have such prejudice in the world today. I hear about the klan all the time, right here in Wilkes County. It makes me sick. I hear people, even in my family, talk about Hispanics. I guess we just have to be an example and do the best we can. I've always been taught, "we're the only Bible some people will ever read". That is so true, so we have to show our loving kindness at all cost.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:02 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]