View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Help a Sista Out :) 
All-star
All-star

Hi Guys....I was not in class on Tuesday, 4/5/05. Please tell me what you discussed so I will be caught up for class on 4/12/05. Thanks....Shawn

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:03 pm
All-star
All-star

We missed you last Tuesday - hope you will get a chance to share some of your experiences at the workshop. A few of our teachers attended and they thought it was great! Anyway, in class we spent some time talking about the Without Sanctuary website and Dr. Turner read an excerpt from the book to us - it was very graphic and horrifying - especially the thought that a lynching could have such a carnival atmosphere. Then we gathered in small groups to discuss Delpit's Silenced Dialogue. We discussed dialects - why do newscasters sound like they are from the midwest, the grammar of certain dialects such as African-American or Appalachian. We also watched an interesting "60 Minutes" video about the investigation into the murder of Emmett Till - I found a website that might fill you in - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/ ... 0652.shtml . Also, Dr. Turner told us not to worry if we found the assigned reading for this Tuesday's class to be difficult to understand - the language of philosophy would not necessarily be familiar to us. Hope this helps - see you Tuesday! Sandi Johnson

Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]