View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Modifications for Students 
All-star
All-star

As most of you know from our assessment class I am currently teaching an inclusive science course. Believe me everyday I wish I could modify for my students with success in mind; Success for the individual. That is a eutopian idea considering that my students are subject to the same expectations on the EOC. Modifications are available, but not modifications that will put them on the same playing field. It is as if they are playing in a football game without the knowing the rules or having proper training. I am all for modifications but is it enough?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:05 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

It is very difficult (impossible) to modify so that every student in the class will succeed, but still we go on and do our best. I know in the situation at my school, there is so much in the students' past/history that we have no chance to ensure success for all. But if you do your best every day and try to give each one what they need from you, then you should feel successful. And we all can tell that you do give your all.
Ken

Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:37 am
All-star
All-star

Kristine,

During the course of a day we do lots of modifications that help students. However, many of these modifications are not the typical EOG or EOC type of modifications. The placement of a child in relation to you can have a significate result. One of my students has just gone off his medicine for ADHD and I am trying many things to keep him focused. When I find one that works, I plan to let his six grade teacher(for next year) know. Yet, this modification will not be found in his IEP, Cummulative Folder, or any additional documention. This is simply a plan we have developed for his success.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Kristine,
My problem with modifications is where do they stop. I have served in the military, worked for a Fortune 500 company, and for local "Mom & Pop" stores and never have I seen rules or policies that allow for any modifications except for the physically handicapped. The modification we give kids help them to succeed in school but how are the modifications helping prepare them for the job market. I want to help the kids but I want them to realistically know what is going to be expected of them in the future.
John

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:40 am
All-star
All-star

I have always believed that those with disabilities don't get to do less work. It is very easy to see for those with physical limitations like blindness or the loss of a limb. Those individuals must work harder than the rest of us to do the same things.

It really has to be this way with exceptional students. Until there is a shift in thinking, the modifications we provide will continue to be a crutch for students. This mostly comes from the parents, but has to be learned somewhere along the way from the educational institutions. If EC students are groomed from a young age to work harder to compensate for learning differences we would be far better off...and so would they when they get into the "real world".

oh by the way, this is ben!

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:57 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Ben. Even though we have that EC background, we still see the crutch modifications become to kids. I guess I can see both sides. Most children who have mods for the EOG's or EOC's rarely really use or need them. We as educators encourage it too much. I believe like you if we should teach kids to compensate for their disabilities.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:34 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]