View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Sudbury Academy 
All-star
All-star

As I watched the video on Sudbury Academy, I thought "Are these people smoking rocks?" I thought the school needed more structure, maybe because I've only worked in the public school system. I know we only saw a 12-minute clip, but I would personally not put my child in this school.

On the other hand, it did make me think about alternative schooling. We all know that public schools do not work for every child. I think we could take a few things from Sudbury and some from the public school and create a setting that might work for some students that are unsuccessful in the traditional setting.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:54 am
All-star
All-star

Shawn,
I agree with you. Not everyone is successful in a public school setting and an alternative choice may be just the thing. However, I too felt that this particular school was not structured enough. Students can learn in alternative settings without an environment that accepts complete apathy towards education (if it suits them). I agree with the comments in class that those students who chose to go to class did so because of education they received at home or at least readiness to be educated. I know quite a few students who would gladly take advantage of the "you don't have to do anything if you don't want to," policy.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:47 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Kris, I also know many students who would enjoy the "hanging out" time day in and out. They would never get tired of it- I wonder how old they are when they finally graduate? Maybe there are no graduations? No requirements?
On the other hand, I do think that the freedom to choose what you learn promotes learning and can open your mind to new possibilities. Learning can lead you to new avenues and challenges.... How refreshing to walk into a room of students who have made the choice to be there and learn. Yes, students need a foundation - it seemed that most of the students there had a foundation through life experiences and home.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that it may not have appeared to be true based on my comments after the video but, I was shocked that such a school existed and wished that I could have gone just to play games all day. I found it hard to believe that a child would choose work over play. My jaw dropped to the floor (but I bet you didn't see it or hear it) when I heard the parents say that they weren't worried that their child was not learning to read. But if the results are there, it would be interesting to investigate how and why it works. Of course, as my mom always said, "If a frog had wings, he would bump his butt on the ground." What we didn't see is, as someone in an earlier posting pointed out, do the students graduate, what are they doing after graduation and are they successful and at what percent. Wouldn't be a real kicker if they have a higher college enrollment rate with a higer percentage of those students actually completing college within 4 years than typical public schools?

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I was wondering how such a "laid-back" school would decide which applicants to admit - surely they wouldn't be so traditional as to rely upon standardized testing. When I checked out their admissions policies on their website, www.sudval.org, it was all very vague - they ask prospective students to come and "visit" for a week to see whether or not they and the school are a good fit. I'm sure a school like this could work with older intelligent, motivated students because I do think that a lot of smart students are bored to death with all of the busy work and repetition in our public schools, but I do not think it would be an appropriate environment for a four year old child. Sandi Johnson

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Although very different from a traditional school, I would have to say that the Sudbury model would probably work just as well...as long as those participating buy into the idea. At least at the Sudbury school it appeared that all students were engaged in something...which is more than can be said about a number of students I have seen over the past 10 years.

I was concerned after looking at their site that they have no actual testimonials, just various David's and Sarah's generically listed with their little quotes. It would be nice to see a list of the actual numbers of students and which colleges/universities they attended and where people work...how about someone famous or semi-famous!

I also noticed that many of the schools modeled after Sudbury are in Norhern or Western states or in other countries...not many in the South East (just one in Virginia). It may just not be a type of education that fits in with the traditions and customs of our region.

oh by the way, this is ben!

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:53 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

The conference Tuesday night discussed how foreign countries allow students time off from school to explore different fields of interest in order to find a job that "fits" their needs. Maybe a middle ground exist between public schools and non-traditional schools.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:45 pm
All-star
All-star

:shock: I was a little shocked at the freedom they had at Sudbury Academy. Parts of what I saw made sense, but parts also seemed quite unbelieveable. I do think it proves that if we give children respect and don't dictate every move they make they will thrive. We as educators don't give children enough freedom.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:46 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

As we discussed in class. There is a need for baselines. It would be a better situation if public schools allowed children to do more exploatory learning. It would be a tremendous way to educate children. Even within that there are guidelines and structure. From this 12 minute clip, Sudbury had neither. I can not fathom placing my children in such an institution!

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I have to say like most of you that I was not impressed with this school. However, what really burned me was how the parents thought everything was so great. What we can all be happy about is the fact that the parents have enough money, or seemed to have, to keep paying for their children for a long time.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:26 pm
All-star
All-star

Forsyth County schools have to meet the needs of about 50,000 students and with that vast number, I think it is really difficult to treat them as individuals. We have some elementary schools with 800 or more students and that is just too many. A school like Sudbury Valley with only 200 students, regardless of the curriculum, would seem more likely to be able to focus on the individual. Sandi Johnson

Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I still think this is a school full of fruitcakes. If we compare this school with a conventional school over a period of time I think Sudbury loses.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:26 am
All-star
All-star

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]