View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Nathan Price 
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible, if for no other reason than I love the way Barbara Kingsolver uses language. However, it did mystify me why every member of the family had the opportunity to express their perspectives of the Congo experience and its impact on their lives except for Nathan Price. We only see and understand him through the eyes of the other characters. I did find a few remarks on this subject on Kingsolver's website, www.kingsolver.com, but it was not very satisfactory. Why would Kingsolver develop the women's characters so completely and leave Nathan's character so one-dimensional? Sandi Johnson

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Sandi, I thought it was interesting that we never heard from the father and only knew of him through the eyes of his family. I believe it was purposeful. This was a story about the women of this family who obediently (SP?) followed of the man of the house. He was where he wanted to be or at least felt was his place to be. I believe any input from him would have been a hinderance to the story. Barbra did a great job of allowing the characters to tell of their struggles in Africa.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I took Nathan not speaking as the author putting him in his place. Throughout the book he heralded himself as the leader of his household and through his preaching, the only way for the Congolese to better themselves. The reader recognized Nathan's importance and influence in the book, but Kingsolver put him in his place by not giving him a voice. Like we have joked about in this cohort many times, Kingsolver gave him all of the attention he needed.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Phil, I do agree with you. It is story about the women and the Congo. I say that b/c of the analogies to the female Congo. But through these women much about Nathan Price can be learned. If he had spoken would he not have said that the women should do his will and he made it clear his will has to sacrifice all to absolve himself of his demons :?:

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:48 pm
All-star
All-star

That's a great question. Like many of the other's stated, I believe the author meant to tell this story from the view of the women. Nathan Price was definitely a main character in The Poisonwood Bible. I'm amazed at how little is said from his point of view, but he ruined the lives of his family. Almost the entire family turned against religion by the end of the book. Although I feel like the mom might have become stronger willed not necessarly more religious.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:59 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I have a comment that goes somewhat against some of your viewpoints on him having a voice. I believe that we already know everything he would have said in the story. We learned everything about him from the others in the story and a section for him would just be a retelling of what we already know. We may not agree with him, his motivation or his actions, but we know how he lived his life and by that we know what his personal story was. I think that before his family left him, his story would have been one of control and how his family was so good to follow his lead. After they left of course, his viewpoint would change. We know this, so what else could we learn. (Hey, 650 pages was enough for me)
Ken

Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Nathan was one-dimensional. He was completely consumed by his religion and nothing else mattered. The females had other interests, dreams, and hopes. Nathan had nothing and that is why he died alone.
John

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:20 pm
All-star
All-star

John,
I agree with your thought on his one dimensional personality and his being consumed by his religion. I believe he was using it as a shield to prevent himself from being too emotional due to experiences in the war.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:55 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I still can't get this problem with the war and his behavior thing in context. Call me stubborn but the man was a manipulator and a shovinist in my eyes.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:30 am
All-star
All-star

In order to have chapters in this book, he would have had to have some understanding or care about the others. He doesn't understand nor care about his family, only himself.

Artistically, I think the choice was made to leave him silent in order to gain the perspective only through the eyes of his family specifically because that is what they had to do. They were never given the opportunity to understand their father through his speaking, so why should we?

oh by the way, this is ben!

Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:52 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]