View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The marks we leave 
All-star
All-star

Nathan Price was unaware of the impact that he would leave on his family. The entire family choose a life far removed from religion. This lead me to think what impact do we leave on child? Not those who never give us a problem but those who we constantly try and help. Are we really helping or just leaving a Nathan Price mark?

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Some of my students lead such difficult lives - two of them have lost a parent in the last few weeks, many of them have a parent in jail or live in foster homes. Whether or not they really learn anything "academic" from me, just having someone to take an interest in them and encourage them must have some sort of positive impact on them. I barely remember most of the teachers I had growing up, but the ones I do remember were the people who were caring and supportive and had a sense of humor, too. Sandi Johnson

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:54 pm
All-star
All-star

For many of our students, school is the best place they know. School provides hot food, limited medical care, safety, and most of all a place where someone does care and want them to do well. I want to think we truly are helping.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe we make a difference in the life of children. Nathan Price shoved religion down the throat of his family. I can't speak for all children, but most teacher have a loving, caring nature about them. We are often the only positive influence they experience. As in all professions there are probably some Nathan Price out there too. I hope no one ever sees me in that light.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:04 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think that the "meal" doesn't matter, no one desires to have anything pushed dowm their throats, and that includes religion. In this story, everything about the Price family took a backseat to the father's religious fever. The family felt left out of the father' life, much like the "football" dad carried to extreme.
Ken

Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I personally do not want anything pushed down my throat. I don't think anyone does. The way an effective teacher works is to facilitate learning. Nathan was simply not an effective teacher. In the classroom we are not effective by pounding concepts over and over. We are effective by bringing about similar concepts in new ways. We allow students to connect the puzzle for themselves. Nathan price was a teacher, just not a good one.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:48 pm
All-star
All-star

Good point Eric, he was not a good teacher. The problem was, he didn't know how bad of a teacher he was or had become. This is an issue that we will have to deal with as future principals.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:39 pm
All-star
All-star

It is just sad to me that Nathan Price went to such extremes to try to make his life have meaning and yet he was so ineffectual. The popularity of books such as The Purpose-Driven Life indicates that many of us want our lives to be significant - how awful it would be to find out at the end of your life that your only influence had been negative. Sandi Johnson

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Kathy,
Nathan had a huge impact on his family. The entire family tried to please him by following his maddness. It is also a survival tool. The mother was trying to hold the family together at all costs. When she realized the price was too high, she took the family to follow their own dreams.
John

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

eric, Nathan was a teacher but describe him in my mind as a manipulator. He coerced things and expected things done his way.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:19 am
All-star
All-star

The girls and eventually the mother disconnected from the father's life- but not until the father had left his mark upon the lives of his family. The impact that we have on other's lives may even be unnoticable -a kind word or a harsh remark-can change a person. How often do we causally through out words to children without thinking of what impact it may have on them?

Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:02 pm
All-star
All-star

It's so hard with high school students though, because they wouldn't even let you know if they enjoyed your class most times. It becomes so difficult to tell when you are making a difference in the hard-to-reach ones lives. They are so brainwashed that anything successful is "uncool". I feel like many of them look to the wrong "teachers" for the benchmark of success.

oh by the way, this is ben!

Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:43 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]