View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Nathans Attitude 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We discussed in class how nathan was a coward and how his dealings in the war was what drove him. He constantly put faith in God but never showed compassion. We hear in general that if your a person of faith you should put God first, well what come second. I never saw nathan show any compassion or even love for his family. Maybe I missed that or didn't read into one of the scenarios. I also wander if he would have been different if his family had consisted of some boys instead of all girls.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:45 am
All-star
All-star

I think if Nathan had had boys, it would be much worse for them. I think they would have either ran away or ended up just like him.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't feel as if Nathan ever really put his faith in God. I feel the entire journey was about him. From his actions, he thought he could accomplish the goal. A true person of faith would not put so much faith in themselves.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Nathan was very narrow minded. He definitely could not see outside the box. The way he treated his girls was unacceptable for any reason. Yet, I got the feeling in class that we were missing a side of him. Did anyone else feel that way? Was there really some good in him?

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:37 pm
All-star
All-star

You are all right. We don't have any idea what his thought process is. This limits what we know of his character. In class we talked about how other people were painting Nathan's picture. No one can define a person better then themselves. What do you think he would have said about himself if he could have tallked? What about his family?

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:43 am
All-star
All-star

I'm with you Kathy, there was definitely a side of Nathan that we couldn't see, but I have always been of the belief that circumstances are not good reasons for actions. For every person with the worst circumstances that fails, there is one who succeeds. And, on the flip side, there are those out there with every opportunity in the world to succeed and end up falling flat on their faces.

Nathan's past does not excuse his actions in the present (not that any of us thinks they do).

oh by the way, this is ben!

Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:32 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]