View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 educated 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm a simple man. I try not to go into deep thought about things that I may clutter my brain space. Last night the discussion about who is educated and what is educated made me think. Everyone is educated in some way but it depends on how other people perceive educated. Our structured educational system depends on 3 numbers to tell us if our students are educated 2, 3 or 4. So is my seventh grader more educated because she made 4's on her EOG's last year compared to JOE who made a 2 and had to be remediated.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:11 am
All-star
All-star

I think education is relative. We could have come up with a definition of what being educated means, and said, "Based on our definition, So&so is/is not educated." I think it would be good for those in education to redefine what being educated means. Does it mean testing children to death?

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Brent you are a deep thinker! Who is educated depends on our measure. Your question is a valid one for which I do not have an answer.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:17 pm
All-star
All-star

Last night I was constantly trying to find a definition for education that would answer the question who is educated. When the term education is knowledge was used I had a hard time seeing my fifth grade student who reads at a first grade level as educated. However, the term education was later redefined as that which enables you to survive. In this case this same student would be very educated. Therefore, I feel the term education depends on the situation and the definition used to determines who is educated.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I will second Eric on the deep thinker part. I like when we changed our defintion of education to be something that allows one to survie in their environment. When you look at what we are teaching students at some grade levels I have a hard time even myself calling it education. Maybe we should be teaching some skills that will allow a child a chance in the world and not, for example, the degrees in a triangle

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:55 am
All-star
All-star

Maybe we should change the word from 'education' to 'experience'. Maybe we should try to focus more on giving children an experience that they won't forget. We could become experiencers instead of educators.

I was watching the weather channel last night and they had this story about a man who survived on his 26 foot boat in the ocean for four months...alone...with no food or water. When the Coast Guard found him he was grilling (yes grilling) a sea gull on a makeshift grill. He was in excellent physical and mental condition. In the interviews he didn't seem very "educated" but I know I wouldn't have survived a similar ordeal so easily.

Education is positional...it depends on where you are.

I love that some people talk about "getting their education", like it's some tangible thing they can hold onto. I remember "getting" my education and sometimes I wonder where that education and that person are...whoever got that education isn't the person I am now.

oh by the way, this is ben!

Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:29 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]