View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Memories of Elementary School 
All-star
All-star

I just realized I can remember the exact layout of my elementary school (where I spent K-8 grades) but can only remember 4 or 5 specfic things I learned while I was there. I know I learned math, biology, grammer and things of that nature, but nothing really specific comes to mind except prepositions in 7th grade.

Let me know if you have a similar experience of school.

Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:42 am
All-star
All-star

Looking back on both elementary and middle school, I remember more the social aspects of things. I do not remember so much about the academics. I remember a few teachers and subjects. I specifically remember learning my multiplication tables, but my most vivid memories definitely have little to do with the classroom. Funny how that works. I think it is something for us to consider as future teachers. Often our students are looking for social fulfillment more than intellectual. It's something to consider when making lesson plans!

Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:19 am
All-star
All-star

My memories of elementary school are similar to the ones mentioned in the previous posts. I have vague recollections of the academic part of elementary school. I do remember learning to write in cursive (I never thought I would get it right). Most of my memories are of my friends and events that occurred around us as a group. It is something that a lot of us should keep in mind while teaching.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:55 am
All-star
All-star

Much of what I can remember about elementary school is based on the quality of education that I received while there. I have not been back to my elementary school since leaving it in the Fifth Grade, save for basketball practice for my recreational team. I remember things that each teacher did for me and things that they did that made me question why they were teaching. Example: I had as my fourth grade teacher Mrs. Bentley who I came to enjoy very highly. I learned so much in that class that I still have great memories just remembering the class itself. However, the same year, I had Mrs. Smith for math (For some strange reason, I have never had much success in a class if it was taught by any teacher named Mrs. Smith). They way she taught was not conducive to my learning abilities and there was a constant battle to succeed in her class. I remember the teachers who taught more effectively and the teachers who taught poorly the most. The teachers who were in the moderate range I have trouble remembering. I could go on and on, but the quality of the teachers and the way they presented the content, not necessarily the content itself, is what I mostly remember.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

My Elementary School memories, for the most part, are all good. I had great teachers, who I believe that they truly cared about what they were teaching their students. My elementary school was organized from kindergarten to eighth grade. I don't feel as if this was necessarily the best situation. I had no transition from an elementary setting to a middle school. Instead, I went from elementary school straight to high schoo. As we all know, high school is a different and sometimes difficult situation. I feel as though it would be better for all student's to leave elementary school for a middle schol, because it seems to make the transition easier.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I remember a lot from elementary school. I spent K, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade at an international school in Cameroon, Africa. I can think of a couple reasons why I remember so many details. For the most part, I had positive, intellectually stimulating experiences in each grade. Since we did not have standardized testing, there was none of that pressure or rigid structure. My teachers had the freedom to be more creative in their lesson plans, and encouraged a lot of critical thinking. Also, our classes were fairly small, about 12 students, so I had a lot of one-on-one attention. I think I also remember a lot, because I liked my teachers. Another reason could be that I knew all of my classmates well, since we went from grade to grade with each other, and got along with them well socially. I remember how the classrooms were set up, what I did at recess and afterschool, all my teachers names, and at least five things we studied in each grade. I think my positive elementary school experience helped inspire me to become a teacher. I would love to teach in that international setting with students from all over the world. On a side note, I have heard that students usually remember the most about teachers who are very intersting and creative, as opposed to the ones with pretty boring, routine schedules.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have probably had a different experience with my elementary school than that of most in the class. My mom worked there and up until they closed it last year she still worked there. I was always there after school and volunteered there in high school and in college. I even went to my first grade teacher's retirement party. (that was a strange experience.) So I do remember my school and my teacher and I have many memories of things learned and friends made. It was really hard to see the doors of that school, which had been a huge part of my life, close. I remember my first day there and crying. Oh I cried so hard going down to the gym for PE that very first day. That is probably my very first memory.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:30 pm
All-star
All-star

My story is the same as most of the previous posts. I noticed last year too that I can't remember everything about my elementary school years. Yes I remember the playground, my friends, PE, the teachers, and my basketball games in middle school, but I can't remember anything that was actually taught. For the life of me, and I have tried really hard I cannot remember learning how to read or do simple math problems. I do remember certain things that happened in the classroom, but a lot has been forgotten. I think it is funny how we forget things from years and years ago, although everything seemed so important to us then.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:16 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]