View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Who makes the best teachers of our teachers? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just reading the "What's wrong with American Teachers" article in the book and I found the last couple of paragraphs pretty interresting. In these paragraphs, John Taylor Gatto talks about three resources we have overlooked for teaching our teachers (aka people like you and me). These resources include old people, failed school teachers, and children oppressed by schooling. I was just wondering how ya'll felt or would feel about being taught through these resources.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Many of the characteristics of a good teacher that the author speaks of comes from other cultures as well. I know in many other cultures, the elderly people of a group are deemed as "wise." In many of these cultures, and some cultures that are found in the south actually (I'm from one of these families), the family of an elderly person will take care of them to the best of their ability instead of sending them to a nursing home. Their wisdom is respected within the family and they are asked their opinions on everyday life events.

In response to the question, I think the best teachers are usually the ones that you do not expect to be amazing teachers. They are the people that can put life experiences into their work so that their students can relate to the subject matter at hand.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:15 am
All-star
All-star

I feel like you can learn a lot from these people. These people have learned all the hard lessons of life and they will usually be happy to help you learn these lessons without you having to learn the hard way. They can teach you what schools do not. These people are great people to learn from and I would hope that if you ever got the chance to learn something from these people, you would listen to them and take it to heart.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:40 am
All-star
All-star

I think that anyone with life experience "might" be a great teacher. However, I know I look to those who started out in a similiar situation to me for advice on everything from teaching and education to politics. I feel we should take into account pretty much everything a person has to say because it is the ideas around us that give us insight into what we should be doing. Plus, these people (the elderly, the oppressed students and so on) might give us a perspective we have never seen before on a particular topic or idea.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:11 am
All-star
All-star

The best teachers of our teachers have to be parents who love and apprecitate their childrens' hard endeavors. Parents are are first teachers and continue to be teachers throughout our lives. The teachers and professors who we have had or are going to have will not always be our teachers. We may think of them that way, but we do not see them for most of our lives. Parents on the other hand will always be a teacher no matter if they are in the field of education or not.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]