View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Little education 
All-star
All-star

Can a society function without those who have a low level of education? Case in point, North Carolina has many immigrant workers. Most of these immigrant workers are seen participating in hard, menial tasks that many people would not otherwise do such as priming tobacco. Now what happens if the immigrant workers are able to have the same education as a normal American student? Do these immigrants expect for their children to do the same menial tasks? Also, numerous aquaintances of mine dropped out of high school to go to work at a factory or some low paying job? Would we be able to enjoy life without their sacrifice of their own education?

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Your post really inspired me to think about those in our society whom may be illiterate or non-educated, but at the same time contribute to our society in some form or fashion. Tobacco plays a major part of my hometown's economy system, and I know that many of the farmers could not be as prosperous without the help of the immigrants. However, I do understand that those, whom live in a society that are uneducated, may hinder that society to some degree. But at the same time, overall I think that the society can survive. I am also a strong believer that everyone has the right to an education, no matter if it's American or what. If immigrants want their children to be educated, then we should strive to educate them and at the same time encourage the importance of having an education even if they are going to be doing menial tasks. In our society today, it is vital to be educated, even if working in a factory. In many cases, if you work in a factory and have a college degree, you get paid more than another person that doesn't have a college degree! And in my opinion having an education has numerous benefits including a higher salary! :wink:

Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:26 pm
All-star
All-star

No person should ever be insulted by their means of survival. If a person chooses not to go on to college, maybe it is for the best. However, as future educators, I feel it is our duty to persuade students to accomplish what they can to the best of their ability.

Society can not function without people to do menial work. Hence the reason why college students get jobs while in school in places such as Wal-Mart, Lowe's Foods, Food Services, etc. Even though we do not have our degrees yet, we still must make money and commit to the jobs that are available to us with the education we have. Until technology has reached the point to where our society can function without workers of this caliber, they are still an integral part of the socioeconomical world.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:08 am
All-star
All-star

A story I told another class might give some a different perspective on this. I have a family member who is illiterate and yet has survived as one of my hometown's farmers. Even though he not rich by any means, he, in his own words, has lived a great life and he would not change anything about it except to spend more time with his children. He dropped out of middle school to farm, but raised his kids to cherish education. His daughter is a registered nurse while his son continues his farming endeavors with a associate's degree in industrial technology.

Yes, education is extremely important and we should teach everyone who wants to learn. And yet, we cannot expect every individual to have the same opinion of education or what education can do for them.

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:25 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Daniel that we should teach every individual who wants to learn and that we cannot expect everyone to have the same opinion of education. I think some people are completely happy and satisfied with nothing more than a highschool degree, and that's fine. Not everyone has to go to college if they don't need that degree for what they want in life. I think that learning to read well and critically is very important however. That way, people can continue to learn, through books, newspapers, etc. I think some people can be highly "educated" and "schooled" without having to go to college. That is, if they take the time to seek out new knowledge.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agreed with most of the other posts. Here is a great perspective only 25% of people regardless of ethnicity go to college. We are not average one bit. Most people do not go to college.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:30 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I believe that their are some individuals who simply do not want to attend college. As educators, we should encourage our students that attending college is something that is very important. In one of my other classes I recieved several stats on jobs that are available without a college degree and the ones that are available with a college degree. Next time I post I hope to have those stats.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To me college was essential because, what I wanted to do with my life (becoming a teacher) required me to have a four year degree. The college experience for me has been very beneficial in so many ways. Although, college isn't for everyone and it frustrates me because, todays society automatically assumes that if you don't have a college education then you aren't going anywhere which is NOT true. There are always other options. We all contribute to society in our own ways it's what makes the world what it is.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that a society can function with people of little or no education because, if everyone was educated at the college level, there would be no one to do the "dirty work" of society, such as trash collectors and hole diggers. I have done both of these jobs, they suck! There is not enough money in the world to make me do either one of these jobs again. But, to someone else, these two jobs could be great. But I don't know too many college educated people who like that kind of work. If someone would rather do these jobs than sit in school, more power to them. I think if people want to be educated, educate it up. If they would rather do hole digging or trash pickup, hey go for it, cause I won't again. These people serve a purpose because if they weren't there, this place would not be as nice as it is.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:12 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]