View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 How to best educate students 
All-star
All-star

It is said that we retain only about 10 % of what we hear. What way to you believe that students are best educated (use of mentors, memorization, one-on-one experiences, etc.)?

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I believe that every student has a different way of learning, whether it be through listening, visuals, or one-on-one interaction. In order to aid students of all different learning styles, a teacher must incorporate each of these methods in their teaching. For example, a teacher can lecture and show illustrations at the same time. Once students have begun to work alone on an assignment, the teacher can then make her way around the room and create one-on-one interactions.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:49 am
All-star
All-star

I believe that it depends on the student when discussing the best way that he/she learns. It is almost impossible to pinpoint one learning skill on every single child. Because of this as a teacher we have to reach out to all students and use all different methods of teaching.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:06 am
All-star
All-star

I would agree with the previous two responses. One cannot make a broad based decision on how to teach students of any age. Students learn in different ways. If the teacher has the time and the ability to discover how the students in his or her class learns, then the teacher can adapt their curriculum to that particalar class. Again, the best way for the teacher to learn what works best is to try different things to find the way that works well with the current group of students.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that all students learn differently. I believe all students can benefit from learning from all the different ways, they just might understand things better learning their way. I do think that it is important to be able to target all areas of teaching so that all students will progress in your classroom. It is up to the teacher to use many different methods so that all students benefit in the class.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with the previous posts. At the beginning of the school year I think it would be easier on the students and teachers to do activities that may make the student's learning style apparent or for older kids give them that questionaire that gives you an idea of what kind of learner they are.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:04 pm
All-star
All-star

There are essentially four types of learners in any situation: auditory learners, visual learners, kinesthetic learners, and mixed learners.

It is our job as future educators to incorporate ways of teaching to fit the needs of all students.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is fair to say from the previous posts that we all agree that learners have different learning styles. What we should be asking ourselves is how can we effectivley teach in a way that reaches each style of learning, or is this even possible.
For me, I believe that hands-on teaching would be the best option. This allows students to use their stregnths and avoid their weaknesses while working and learning in real life experiences. It aids in their discovery of their own learning style through the realization of their own stregnths/weaknesses. Also they will become an active learner!!
The hard part is figuring out how to incorperate active learning daily into my lessons.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that each and every child learns differently and it is our job as teachers to understand the different learning styles and accomodate everyone to the best of our ability. Some children benefit by hands-on learning, some by interacting with others and some who learn best by lecture and talk. I believe it is important to vary our styles of teaching so that everyone is benefited. If we teach only the way we like, for instance lecturing, then many children in the class are going to fall way behind because they can't learn this way. I believe that we as teachers have to keep an open mind about teaching because there is no single right answer when it comes to accomodating each child.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it really depends on the child. Many children learn in a variety of ways. I think you really have to get to know each one of your students individually. I think Melissa makes a great point though, how do we reach each learning style? I think it is important as a teacher to do a variety of different kinds of lessons, whether it is hands on.....so on etc.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:49 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think that we should start teaching students they way that we are learning now. Most classes teach us ways to find information and it may be more important to learn where to find the answers to questions.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:29 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]