View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:08 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Moral Education question #2 
All-star
All-star

What do you think we, as future educators, should do if morals are not instilled in students by their parents before they reach the age to enter school?

How do we convey morals to those students who do not have a firm moral foundation?

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that if students are not taught morals by their parents, then the best way to express our own morals to them is to simply live them and be consistent in living them. There is a song that states that "I'd rather see a sermon than to hear one anyday." I think that this is how we should approach this. If we are to be forgiving of one person, then we should forgive another in a similiar circumstance.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Encouraging the good morals of the students in all classes will also help to educate those who have been neglected morally. Hopefully the kids will pick up on the correct way of doing things faster and with more resolve if they see one of their peers doing it.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we, as teachers, should set the standard in addition to any morals learned by our students at home. We most strive to be the ideal person day in and day out, regardless of how we feel or what's going on in our personal lives. If our students see us happy, ready with a smile as they walk into class, then they are more likely to do the same. However, if they walk into class and see us frowning or in a bad mood, they are going to act the way we do. We have to be excited about what we are doing and in turn, our students will hopefully pick the same zeal for whatever subject they are learning.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:01 pm
All-star
All-star

Sadley, but true, there are student who do not recieve morals taught at home, and in order to survive in today's society, children need to have some sense of good morals to live by. If they are not recieving it at home, then where better than the schools to recieve the teaching of morals. In many schools, educators are trying to impliment "Character Education" into the curriculum. Teaching of morals and values of good character teaches children their importance and differences between right and wrong / good and bad. I also believe that teachers themselves can set a great example for students as having good morals. Even though sometimes, we may think that no one is watching, I'm sure that there is a child watching our actions and listening to our words. Another idea that may help instill morals into our students is to take time to discuss problems between students. For example, so often, we simply punish students without discussing what they did wrong, and them learning that what they did was not morally acceptable....turn it into a learning experience! :wink: :)

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:30 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with some of the past posts that one of the greatest ways to help instill good morals into our students is by having and showing the good morals in ourselves. Students, no matter what age, look up to their students if they see a teacher who is responsible, organizated, etc then they will want to try to be that way too. One of the greastest forms of leadership is leading by example.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I think one practical way to introduce morals into the classoom is through literature. Many picture books and novels teach moral lessons that are basically universal. Another idea is to use current event articles that have to do with morals and have class discussions based around them. As long as you, as the teacher, are not preaching your own views, and the topic is within reason, it should be an enlightening experience.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel that reguardless of the home trainning if a teacher has good morals then they will rub off on the students. We are with most students from 8am till about 3ish spending that much time with students has to have some postive effects.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:04 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]