View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:08 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Fulfilling our end of the bargain... 
All-star
All-star

This question has been on my mind for a while. I don't know exactly how other subjects deal with the learning of students, but with art-oriented classes such as music, we have to fulfill certain national standards and state standards.

The question that has been haunting me is:

How can a teacher who is in the high school level fulfill their national standards if the elementary or middle school teacher does not fulfill their national standards? This problem sets the students at a remedial level from the get-go, it causes students from reaching their full potential, and hinders the teacher from teaching to their standards.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that we have to maintain our standards, which should already be in compliance with the National Standards.
When a child comes into our classroom at a level far below what we expect them to be at, this will be our challenge: to use our teaching skills and standards to provide them the tools to increase their skill level. It may be starting with the basics and I am sure, quite frustrating...
My questions would be, how are we held responsible and what resources are offered to teachers to help bring these children up to the level that they need to be according to the State/National Standards. These are questions that I think should be addressed in the interview process.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that is a good question, Paula, and one that is on the mind of many teachers entering the field. I do agree with Melissa in that when a child comes into our classroom at a level below what they are suppose to be, it is our challenge and responsibility to increase their skill level. This, I believe, is part of being a teacher. We can't control what past teachers have taught the students but we can control/improve what each student learns in our classroom. Elementary school teachers need to be trained, to their fullest potential, so that they will fulfill their national standards, especially since the elementary years are so important to a child developing basic fundamentals. :D

Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:00 am
All-star
All-star

I really think that is a ongoing problem for teachers today. The best thing I can think of is that a teacher try to meet the students where they are at and not worry so much on the standards but the growth.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:37 am
All-star
All-star

I think this is an interesting question that can be applied to any subject area, as a few posts have touched on. One idea I have is to "cover the basics," or those standards not covered well in elementary school, at the beginning. Then, bring the students up to speed with some of the actual grade-level standards. It seems to me, that students might be able to catch up on some of the earlier skills quickly, simply because they are older and so those skills may come easily, especially if the students have experience with music in everyday life. Of course, as teachers we cannot assume a students' experiences...thus we are left with the original dilemma. It just seems to me that it a teacher should be able to incorporate the basics into current standards, even if they are just touched on at the beginning of a lesson.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:14 pm
All-star
All-star

This is a hard subject to address. I would say that this is where our teaching skills come into play. We must use whatever strategies we have learned to try and bring that student to the level that they need to be at in order to succeed and pass the national standards that are set for them.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:56 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]