View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:18 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 So much testing, little time to play? 
All-star
All-star

It seems that in education today, testing is controlling our curriculum and turning students into testakers. Isn't it funny how much time is spent on testing and even just learning how to take the tests (how you should bubble in the circles, etc.) My question is, with testing taking over most of the time spent in the school, how do you work in time for kids to "grow and be kids"; to run and play outside? No wonder we have such a problem with obesity in our society, children aren't getting enough physical activity because instead they are stuck inside doing "practice tests" for homework! What do you think? When do we give kids the opportunity to "be kids"?
(you may can tell that i'm not the biggest fan of standarized testing?):wink:

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:50 am
All-star
All-star

My problem with a lot of school systems today is they have downgraded the amount of time spent in non-core classes such as physical education, music, art, and so-on and yet they are constantly complaining about the lack of a cultural education which includes physical activity. As a physical education student, I understand the need for a baseline of physical activity for the children in today's schools. When students are only being tested on the 'core' curriculum, then they are not receiving the education they need and deserve. Plus, I know that my niece (who is in 4th grade) spent a good portion of her 3rd grade year learning how to take the end of grade testing. So now, she knows how to take a test, but does she know how to conceptualize what she was supposed to learn into everyday life?

Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:44 am
All-star
All-star

I completly agree with the past two posts that standardized testing is taking over children's lives. Yes I agree that there is a need for tests sometimes, but we should not force our teachers and students to live revolving around tests. What happend to class plays, musicals, and playing outside. Children have to have time to run around and just be kids. I believe if we cut down on the testing and increase the amount of play time in kids lives then the number of students that are labeled as ADD/ADHD will decrease, scores will go up, obesity will go down, and children and parents alike will live less stressful and more fulfilled lives.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with all the past posts! Testing is emphasised too highly in today's society. I believe that tests need to be administered throughout the year just to check on the progress of the student and to see just how much they have comprehended. By doing this, the teacher will know where the children stand in different subjects and will be able to help them in a better way. I think this is something the teacher (alone) should be able to do if they wish. Standardized testing puts too much stress and worry on children. I helped tutor a fourth grade girl for her tests and she broke down crying in front of me because she was worried that she would not pass them. This broke my heart, because no child should be that stressed out and worried over those tests.
I also agree that physical education, art, music, and extracurricular activities should be seen more in our schools. Being an art concentration major, I believe all of things are needed for each child to grow and like Daniel mentioned, they add to cultural education! :D

Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel that a lot of it will fall on the teacher beacuse there is a way to teach the information so that the students will learn it. Most teachers just get into the flow of teaching the test. We must remember that we are not teachers to teach a test we are teachers that help children grow and learn... So there must be some kind of Compromise by the school systems and the teachers.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Brandon. We all know now that standardized testing is a major issue, now we need to learn how to teach the information in a enjoyable manner. Teaching by the test will be very boring....you can teach what is going to be on the test in a more interactive way.
Also, the issue of non-core classes getting cut, it saddens me that this is happening. I feel that for some kids, music, drama, pe is an outlet for them....it is not fair to take that away. Even physical education is being cut in schools, something def. needs to be done. This is such a complicated issue. :cry:

Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:21 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is very important to give kids the opportunity to just be kids. I agree with many of the posts that we should expect teachers to do their jobs and teach the material well enough that the students can pass the test. I am like Daniel a physical education major so I also think that physcial activity is very important. Not only because of the increasing obesity rate because that allows the students an opportunity to get out some stored up energy so they will listen when it's time to be in the classroom.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that kids are missing out on the opportunity of just being kids. With P.E., music, art and other electives the schools are lacking. It has been said that these electives help children with their learning in other subjects and benefit them in many other ways. I guess some of the school systems priorites should be looked at and what do we really value the most. As of now it seems our main focus is preparing the future to learn how to take tests.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:54 am
All-star
All-star

i think that a lot of parents send their children off to school and they assume that ALL of their needs are being met. maybe this used to be so but now i have to wonder. do children get as much play time now as we did when we were in school? i don't know but obesity rates are definitely something we should be concerned with. children naturally have a high metabolism and they need to release throughout the day. it is very difficult for young children to be cooped up inside for most of the day. whether it be lack of funding or focus on testing, the school systems really should focus more on the overall needs of the kids rather than how good the test scores make the school look. teachers have to find a harmonious balance between work and play. the students should not be shortchanged on any aspect of their school experience.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that testing can take up an incredible amount of time, but the whole question revolves around whether or not EOCs or EOGs are appropriate for today's society. In some aspects they are good and in others I believe they need work. I think about France and their testing. In France, there is one huge test, much larger than the SAT, that includes everything a person is to have learned in their entire school experience. It is the only major test that they will ever have. If you do poorly, you are stuck with a career that you will hate. If you do well, you will get to go on to a nice university to make lots of money later on. I ask which is better to have multiple tests all throughout a student's academic career or one major test that determines where he or she will go after high school? As adults, we run into tests all the time whether they be of an academic nature or even a problem with a co-worker. Life is full of tests that can make or break us in a matter of minutes. Should we teach our children anything different?

In regards to the obesity issue, there is a simple way that I believe that students to get rid of this. It is simply to get off their rear ends. Get out away from the TV and XBOX and begin to enjoy the outdoors, play a community sport. There is so much more to do other than surf the Internet. I do not believe that there is much correlation between the testing and the obesity issue. If anything, it might be that some students begin to feel very anxious and therefore may eat more. I know that is a common problem. Once again, I believe that this can be combated with outdoor activities and excercise.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My question is, with testing taking over most of the time spent in the school, how do you work in time for kids to "grow and be kids"; to run and play outside? No wonder we have such a problem with obesity in our society, children aren't getting enough physical activity because instead they are stuck inside doing "practice tests" for homework! What do you think? When do we give kids the opportunity to "be kids"?

I agree that it is taking over most of the "play time" in schools. Children are forced to take these tests and somtimes they might not make the grades. I think that it can be caused by to much pressure, cramming and maybe they test better a different way. I don't understand why it is up to a select group of people to determine what is the right score and the wrong score and how people should do at taking a certain type of test. Children are growing up in such a different society these days I think that one of the most important things that could be done is to give them time to play and stop holding them to such out of reach standards. They are just children and yes they should meet most requirements but this is not a business that we are running it is a school and these are children.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that it is taking over most of the "play time" in schools. Children are forced to take these tests and somtimes they might not make the grades. I think that it can be caused by to much pressure, cramming and maybe they test better a different way. I don't understand why it is up to a select group of people to determine what is the right score and the wrong score and how people should do at taking a certain type of test. Children are growing up in such a different society these days I think that one of the most important things that could be done is to give them time to play and stop holding them to such out of reach standards. They are just children and yes they should meet most requirements but this is not a business that we are running it is a school and these are children.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

sorry i sent it twice and the first time i copied the question to be able to remember what it was.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also am not the biggest fan of standardized testing. I know that testing is necessary to monitor students success, but shouldn't it be considered a success if a student surpases his or her previous scores/levels? I think that standardized causes intense stress for our children. My mom works at a pediatricians office and she says that it is UNREAL how many children are on anxiety medicine because of all the stress that is put on them to do well on tests. I think that it is vital to give our children chances to run and play during the school year. It is unreasonable to think that they are capable of sitting still and listening to lectures, doing worksheets, ect for eight hours a day five days a week. Our students are not machines, they need time to rest, relax, and work off their energy durring the day so that they can focus on their school work.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:04 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]