View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 What can really be DONE? 

Can teachers really change the system?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:56 am
yes 92%  92%  [ 12 ]
no 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

What can really be DONE? 
All-star
All-star

After reading different post one of my biggest questions is what are our plans as teachers going to be? Is there enough unity among teachers to change policies and mandates that infringe on the way run a classroom?

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You make a great point Brandon. This is one of those questions that is just really tossed up in the air. It amazes me that many people who represent our schools systems don't even have anything to do with the system. Many people on the school board have never had teaching experience. Something def. needs to change. Representation is a key to success.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:57 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

It is funny that when I first wanted to become an educator, one of my main goals was to help and teach the children, but now as I've gotten into my Block, I have developed an abudent amount of goals. One of my future goals is to definitely do my best to make a difference in the system. Nothing more frusterates me than to think that those whomt are sitting in the capital or school boards and making the rules for everyone have never taught in a school. I really wonder how many of the people whom develop the SAT have taught in a school and for how long? I believe that there is great unity among teachers and would like to think that if 'driven", that teachers could definitely make a difference in the policies and mandates that run our classrooms. Unfortunately, many educators have instead become discouraged and could be right that it doesn't matter what they were to do, because those in charge may not listen :? I may be young and have my hopes and dreams high, but I feel that in order to make a difference in our children's lives, we have to start from the top! :lol:

Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with the last posts that this is a question that sometime or another every educator asks him/herself. I believe in order to change the system and do something about today's educational and societal problems you have to believe that teachers can change the system. If you don't believe that then of course you can't because you won't be doing anything to help change it. With some time if all teachers believe and take a step in the right direction, then things will begin to change

Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would like to think that if teachers stick together thay can make a difference, and they can. The problem, however, is getting the teachers together. Every one will not agree on what is best and what is the best way to go about doing something. We can make a difference if we have common goals.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:42 am
All-star
All-star

I say that we have a chance to improve our education system. Each of us brings our own unique perspective and outlook on education to the table when we teach, regardless of the content area or age level. Plus, it takes one person to start something, but a group to change it. If teachers can work together, then we can change the system to a better one. Given, not all of us agree on exactly how to do it, but there is always compromise in life, as well as in other areas including education and schooling. I know I am being taught a different to do things from the way I was taught when I was in school. My teachers want us to take a more in-depth look at the whole child, not just one aspect of him or her. We want to educate the student not only to meet our standards but so that he or she is willing to continue lifelong learning, whether it is in our field of study or another is immaterial as long as he or she knows that learning is important throughout life.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think teachers can change the system! This goes back to what my parents have always told me growing up, "Sarah, you can do anything you set your mind to doing!!!" I am not saying that it would be a quick or easy change though. I agree with Holly in that if there are other teachers that have similar ideas and goals, it would be good to work with others. Strength grows in numbers!!! It's all about putting it in your head that you want change and will do whatever it takes to see it happen. It's like setting a goal and making sure you achieve it!!!!! :D

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I think with the help and involvement of a community that any set of teachers can change the system. It's not going to be a mass, nation-wide epidemic, but gradual small changes will always help to improve our school systems.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:44 am
All-star
All-star

The previous post is mine. I signed it, but it timed out.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:10 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]