View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Teacher Salaries 
All-star
All-star

What should the starting out pay be for a first year teacher in North Carolina coming fresh out of college without a MD?

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One million dollars!!! That's wishful thinking :wink: !!! It's really hard to say because the pay also depends on the schools rural/urban location. I am from one of the lowest payed rural counties in the state. With all that teachers do, I definitely think the pay should be higher. Maybe between 33,000 and 37,000 starting out, at least! Like Hannah said in another post, professional sports players, movie stars, and doctors all received an education from someone. Being an educator is one of the most important jobs that exist :D !!!

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Sarah. I think around 35,000-40,000 would be a great start pay for teachers. When we get more experience from working, it will go up. Without teachers in this world, how would any of the neglected children learn anything or experience joy? For all that they do, teachers get lousy pay.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:18 am
All-star
All-star

I second that Sarah! Wouldn't it be nice to be paid $1 million dollars! Being a daughter of two educators whom have been in the classroom for over 20 years, the only downfall that I have observed in their experiences is the money! In fact, ever since I said that I wanted to teach, both of my parents have tried to encourage me to be a doctor or a lawyer instead, due to the pay. I honestly believe that you have to WANT to teach in order to settle for the pay that is out there these days. And the location of which you are teaching in does make a big difference. My brother, a second year teacher, particularly chose the school in which he wanted to teach, because he knew that the pay was higher than surrounding areas. I've often asked asked my parents why they stayed in education if the pay was so bad, and they have always told me, that you have to look beyond the material rewards; it is the adults that they run into at the grocery store for example, whom they have taught and tell them of all of the achievements that they have made and thank my parents for what they did during their educational career. It's so sad to think that teachers are one of the most dominating influences in a person life, and they get paid so little...

Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:20 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm with everyone else. 35,000-40,000 isn't asking too much I don't think. It's sad because I think teachers should be one of the most high paying jobs out there. Money is nice but to me its not about the money. Being a teacher is just rewarding in itself because when that kid that is having a hard time understanding something finally gets it, that's just priceless.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:47 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of the above posts (expecially the 1 million dollars! hee hee). I feel that teachers should be one of the highest paying jobs because without teachers we would not have doctors, dentists, lawyers, medical assistance, or any other profession. I find it crazy that the bases of all other jobs is teaching and teachers are one of the lowest paid. With out teachers where would the world be today??

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teachers should be paid enough to be considered in the upper middle class of society. One of my biggest reasons behind this is because during out schooling we do more for the community and for our school for absolutly nothing. I look at it like this. Most business majors and engineers get to have these CO-Opp jobs where they work for a business a semester and it is part of their grade point average but the big kicker is...THEY GET PAID...we do our student teaching and community service but do we see anything from it? NOPE I also think that being in the education department we spend more of our own money on supplies and things like that during our schooling to do the required projects that in some way we should be compensated. (Can you count all the file folders and plastic containers and markers you have had to buy as an Elem Ed Student?) Not to mention when we finally get out own classroom there is so much to do with it from fixing the boards, making nametages, buying supplies of crayons pencils etc. and the school budget only covers so much. But the government says that studnets learn better with all these resources...where do we get all them from? OUR OWN POCKETS. To top it off can you tell me how many parents would want to spend all day long with their children every day of the week and then multiply it by 20? You wont find very many, we should be rewarded.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that teachers should be payed a lot more than they are. I know everyone argues that teachers don't work 12 months out of the year, but we are going home after working all day and grading papers and making lessons. I think that since we are the ones teaching everyone so that they can get their well paying jobs we should be able to be paid more. I think that being a teacher is one of the hardest jobs out there and with everything that teachers put up with there should definately be higher pay.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that it would be awesome to get paid $1 million to be an educator, but that is obviously NEVER going to happen. I deffinitely think that there should be an increase in our starting salary to at least 30,000 with chances for pay increases along the way. After all without educators, there would be no doctors, lawyers, athletes, ect. as someone mentioned before. Although it doesn't seem to make sence that educators get paid so little when our job is so important, sometimes I find our low salary comforting. For example, I feel that I have chosen the right profession and I know that I am doing it for the right reasons because money is not my driving force. Often times people choose what they study in college and choose to do with their life according to how much money they will get paid to do the job and I am proud to not be one of those people!

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think teachers should be paid more def. Starting out at 25,000 a year is going to be a struggle with paying off loans and so forth. I didn't go into this profession though for the money. I feel that teachers should start out around 40,000 a year. We educate so many different people, different careers, and so forth. Maybe one day things will change....one day???? :?

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:35 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

We should definitely make more for the job we do. However, we live in a culture that values basketball and stars movie stars more than teachers and physicians. The monetary value placed on a teacher's worth is unfair and inequitable, but until our cultural values shift, I'm afraid our pay increases will continue to be minimal.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree!! Teachers make nothing for what they do. The beginning pay for a teacher out of college should be around $35-40,000. I believe that teaching is a very prestigious job but somehow we got left out when it came to salaries. I agree with Robin, in the fact that we live in a society that values sports and movie stars more than the teachers and nurses. I love that commercial with the little boy and he tells his father that he wants to become a teacher. His father very confused, asks; why would you want to be a teacher, why not a doctor or a lawyer? And the little boy replies "But, who is going to teach the doctors?!?!"

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:21 pm
All-star
All-star

Teachers diffently deserve higher pay then they receive. Teaching is one of the most important and the most demanding jobs that an individual can have. Like others have stated, without teachers how would individuals become doctors or lawyers.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:44 am
All-star
All-star

Wow! what great dreams! I wish we were among the higher paid professions. It is really depressing to know that when I do graduate and get a job, my wants are going to far exceed my means! I know a guy that I went to high school with. He has taken some college courses but does not have a degree. He worked for a furniture factory in my hometown and he made about $20-25000 a year. It makes me feel foolish to have worked my butt off in college for the last four years, went into debt about $15,000, and then to go find a job with my degree that I will be making the same amount that he started off at. Granted there is much better job security in our line of work, but it still sucks any way you look at it! We definitely deserve more!

Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I really feel like this is my soap box Teachers should be paid as much if not more that Doctors. With out teachers where would we be??? Would even have the other professions? I just feel like America has it backwards.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The pay is certainly a fact that makes a lot of people look to other jobs than teaching. If only the pay could be increased to at least a mid 40k salary then maybe we wouldn’t have a teacher shortage and our kid’s education wouldn’t be so much lower than the educations provided by other world class countries.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I remember one day hearing a lady I work with saying that teachers were paid too much. My mouth about hit the floor. I think most of this was said in anger over something that had happened with her child. Still we had it out for a little while. I also remember someone saying at some point that if teachers had more attractive salaries, it might attract the wrong people into the profession. I see this to a point, but I think that teachers truly are the back bone of our society. We will help to shape future generations in their most vulnerable and fragile states. We go through some of our most important life shaping experiences in school, and teachers are often a part of those. How much? I don't know if I could put a number on it...I agree 1 million would be fantastic. However, it would be nice to see teachers be valued more in society...not just fianancially, but in general. However, I think it would be interesting to gain the perspectives of some non-education majors on this topic!

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:14 pm
All-star
All-star

AMEN!!!!!! Like Brandon said...."This is my soapbox" it's mine too! I think that it is crazy that it is teachers who teach the basketball stars, baseball stars, football stars, car racing stars, doctors, actors, singers, and what do teachers get to show for it....a summer off! HA. I know of teachers having to get additional part-time summer jobs, because the pay just couldn't cover it all! I agree with everyone when they say that teachers get shafted, because it is the truth! I think that what Blair said is very nice...we need to get paid enough to fit comfortably in the upper middle class range, and with that money, I want our professons to be looked up to, and not just seen as a babysitting job :!: :!: :!: :!:

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:01 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 18 posts ]