View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Learning Styles 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A classroom is full of students with different learning styles. Some are visual learners, some are more hands on, and then there are those that can just hear a lecture and that's all they need.
My question is, how do you plan to deal with a classroom full of students with diverse learning styles and still maintain the curriculum?

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:26 pm
All-star
All-star

This is something I have been learning a lot about in my education classes. It seems that most intructors believe that the best way to deal with this is to incorporate all the learning styles into your lessons. For example, if you lecture, make sure you have visuals to go along with it, and then let your students put it into practice. This is where I think creativity really comes into play.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Alissa, I think it is very important to have different methods/types of teaching materials for a lesson. Not all students learn the same way, which for me makes the idea of this challenge of teaching each student exciting! I have found that since I've been in college, I am more of a "hands-on" type of student. I struggle to pay attention when I am being lectured to, and it's not until after class that I have to go back and review my notes to comprehend the material in the lecture. I enjoy lots of examples, and experiements, projects, etc. I believe the more diverse activities that you can incorporate in your classroom, the more successful you will be. I know that if our current class was strictly lecture for four hours, I would never make it! :wink:

Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:12 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know for me it depends on what I'm learning what kind of learner I am. With math and science I was always a "hands-on" learner and most other subjects I was visual and auditory. I think it is just important to try and incorporate all learning styles so you can meet the needs of all students.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have thought about this as well and only come up with one solution. I am going to make sure, no matter how long it takes to come up with the ideas, that every day there is a balance between hands on and lecture in the classroom and for most of the time have activities that require both. For example if I am lecturing about something then I want to have something that I can pass out to the students as a hand out or worksheet that they can either do independently or with groups or assign some type of creative work or project to go along with the lecture and the other way around. There are so many learning tools and activities out there that can be used and I think we need to utilize them.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is one of the most difficult questions that I have been faced with as a move along this education program. This seems like an overwhelming task and sometimes I find myself wondering how in the world I am ever going to be able to accomodate each and every child in my classroom? Finding a balance, like others have said before, is the key to success. Every child learns differently and if we teach only one way some children are going to be bored and or completly confused. It is our job as teachers to find ways to balance this task that we are faced with. As I continue to learn more and more about the many different learning styles that are out there, I believe it is important not only to make sure we use hands-on and lecture type teaching but also the others that are sometimes forgotten. For instance, many children learn better outdoors, or with music, or by moving around and still others in groups. As Katie said, this is what makes teaching challenging but exciting! :) I believe that we as teachers must make sure we understand how important this is in our teaching and be sure that each and every child is learning and succeeding.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:50 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]