View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Are you truly learning to become a teacher? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As an elementary education major it seems as though the same topics about education come up in every singe class no matter what the class is supposed to be about. It is always about social class, multicultural education, diversity etc. but in how many of your classes do you actually talk about how changes can be made? Most of the time it is just complaining about the school systems. Who feels as though they sit through these long classes and at the end still doenst know how to comfront some of these problems?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that while we sit in the same classes talking about the same topics nothing feels like its being accomplished. I feel like it keeps getting shoved into our heads but thats where it stays.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I am doing this whole teaching thing backwards, so I had the classroom experience before I was exposed to the issues. My advice to you guys is just be aware because these issues of social class will surface in every class of students. You may not be able to change the foundations of your school system, but you can learn to consider individual cultural and social contexts as you make out lesson plans, etc.

Sometimes, when I am having trouble figuring out why a particular student is giving me grief, I look back to some of the things I have been exposed to regarding social class. Many times, therein lies the answer. Lots of kids are not socialized to respect the "code" of school. They lack school literacy. We have to help them understand the language before they can adopt its values.

In short, I do think it seems like a lot of rhetoric at times, but social inequalities do exist and they do find their way into each and every classroom.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Learning to become a teacher in what sense? Learning to accept everyone no matter race, gender, creed, etc or learning actual methods for teaching? You see in the first example, I would give a definite and resounding yes, but in the example of actual methods to use I must say no. I am a junior and have never been required to write a lesson plan. I have never been required to actually do the activities that a teacher will be doing. I would actually have preferred more experience in the instance of the second than that of the first.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:22 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I totally agree with you Blair. I understand and often enjoy discussing these topics but it is true that we sit around and often complain about what's wrong with our schools and never discuss what's right with our schools. But then again, is that what we often do as a society? I may be hitting a nerve when I say this, but do you ever get so tired of people complaining and never suggesting solutions or doing anything about it. I hope that as we further our educational experience that we will be able to learn actual teaching methods and discuss ways in which we can make changes in our schools. And I do believe that it is true, that it is going to have to be us to make the changes! :wink:

Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everyone on this too, that we aren't really coming up with solutions. I do feel that you can't fully understand how to confront issues until you actually experience them.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:48 am
All-star
All-star

These issues that we have been discussing in all of our classes are topics that I enjoy discussing. But I like the others feel that nothing is every really resolved. I also agree with Travis in the fact that we do not get the experience with writing lesson plans and doing things that teachers do daily.
My fiance is a PE major and he has been focused on writing lesson plans and teaching home school children and special needs children since we enrolled at Appalachian. He is very experienced with these aspects and I feel that he has an advantage that I do not when we enter into teaching.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that a lot of the same issues come up in our education classes. I am a history, secondary education major and this is my first and only real semester involved in the College of Ed. For me, the information is helpful in that at least I am aware of the issues. I like what Robin said, considering she is a teacher, that awareness is key! It does stink that these problems aren't finding any resolution, but we will have the rest of our professional lives to ponder these problems and hopefully we will find creative ways to deal with them. I am just thankful that I will at least understand that children do come from very different backgrounds and this is often the case for why they act the way they do.

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I really feel that we pay and you as the paying student are not getting the things that you need out of the class you need to talk with the professor. I have found that when you talk about it with the right people things change or you will come to a undrstanding of why it feels like it dose.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:20 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree that so many classes are spent talking about all the different aspects of teaching but not actually teaching. I know in the PE department we spend more time learning how to plan and design lesson plans than we do actually hands on. I think it would be more beneficial to be in the classroom if not teaching at least observing so we can see all the different styles of teaching and learn what does and doesn't work.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:00 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]