View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Does Skin Color change the way you teach a child? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In the article The Silenced Dialogue: Power and Pedagogy in Educating Other People's Children, it opens by talking about there being a difference in educating children of color. How can skin color change the techniques in which you educate the children of different colors? Am I the only one that is confused about this?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sorry guys. That was mine above. I forgot to log in.

No Blair, I was confused also. I beleive that no matter what the color of someones skin is, we should try to teach the same way. I have seen sometimes where a person with a different color of skin was treated differently then I was. I didn't like it very much. We all are equals, and we all should be treated that way, even though it does not happen.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Kim! Everyone should be treated and taught in the same way, no matter what their skin color is. If we teach students of different color, a different way, it's almost like we are discriminating. As teachers it is our responsibility to make sure that we provide a learning environment for ALL students no matter what their differences!!! :D

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that each student should be taught the same regardless of skin color or background. However, in my high school, there was a distinct difference between the white, black and hispanic students and the way we were taught. Even though I disagree, several students regardless of race, have since graduated college and moved on to successful lives. Plus, I believe that the teachers at the high school (here in NC) believed that each race learned material in a different way, at least how one particular English teacher taught. She assigned books and literature to read depending on our background. Given, there was some correlation between what we read, but not every student read Great Expectations, mostly just the white students. Sadly, I don't remember what the other students had to read outside of what I read.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:55 pm
All-star
All-star

Race is a sensitive subject to many people. As educators, I believe that we should treat and teach every student in the way that best suits that student. As we have learned there are several different learning styles. When it comes to the color of someone's skin, that does not mean that we should only teach them one way. We as teachers need to determine the learning style that is best for that individual student regardless of their race.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I will teach what is specified to be taught to all children no matter their color, sex, etc. I will teach the same material to all students. In fact, I see myself as color blind in the area of instructing students

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In an article by Debbie Diller called Opening the dialogue: Using culture as a tood in teaching young African American children, I learned that maybe we need to teach differently. A white teacher was having trouble teaching her african-american students, she mention in the article " I treat them (african-americans) like I treat all my white kids. I try not to look at skin color. I like all my students. I treat them all the same." Her african-american friend responds back to her "that's the problem, we don't want to be treated just the same. We are different. We want you to acknowledge that." The article goes on to talk about how african-american children learn differently including example, cooperative learning is an excellent tool, with younger kids the use of rythmn when reading and also bring books into the classroom of their culture. Group learning is also better for african-american children. Please check out this article it is great. You can get it under the electronic resources or just go to the library.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:14 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The problem I see is that by teaching students of other races differently are we not promoting segregation with in a class room. To truly teach two races in the classroom in a way they need is almost impossible. The easiest way to teach a child the way they need is to group them accordingly, so in this case that would be by race, which would be segregation. Maybe I am thinking wrongly about this but this is how I feel.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with most of these posts. I do not believe in teaching differently to different races, I believe that this promotes segregation. I plan on teaching each and every one of my kids specifically to their learning style, not based upon race and color. While I was reading this article however, I found the ideas very interesting and it made sense to me at the time. I found it very neat how different cultures and races may interpret communicaiton differently. In the article a black man describes his white teacher as boring and having no control. He also says that he doesn't understand what to do unless he is told straightfoward. Perhaps the way some are raised and brought up, they don't understand being told something that is not straightfoward and this is where the problems arise. We as teachers have to understand that not everyone is like us and will understand our ways and communication. We need to be aware and give everyone an equal chance to succeed. A good example is having a child in your class from a different culture, who will not look you in the eyes when you speak to them. To you this may show disrespect and rudeness, but to them it is their culture and not looking someone in the eyes actually could show respect where they are from.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I know that this is hard but we see color everyday and we will have to adress it in the classroom. I would like to think that everyone will treat all the students the same. But deep down inside there is something telling me that it is hard to treat everyone the same and it takes work

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:17 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think everyone should remember that their must be a balance in the classroom. You can teach all your kids the same but incorporate ideas that will reach all cultures in your classroom. Teaching different ways does not promote segregation. You do not have to separate the white children from the african-americans or hispanics so forth, just teach diffferent ways. Teaching cooperative learning to just African-Americans is not what I was saying, other cultures could benefit from that too.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:14 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]