View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Jumping out the window? 
All-star
All-star

We ran out of time in class to discuss as a whole the answers to the questions that gayle put on the board and that were discussed in the groups. What would you do if one of our students jumped out of the window? This really caught my attention! What would you do? :wink:

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have to say that if this happened in my class the student would be in the guidance office A.S.A.P.. No two ways about this one, psychological problems are not my specialty!

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:48 pm
All-star
All-star

Daniel and I were in the same group and we all came to the consensus that this action is a sign of problems that we as teachers are not truly trained to attend too.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:37 am
All-star
All-star

I believe that the student should be sent to get help with whatever is going on after the immediate situation is over. I mean, if he jumps out a second story window, he will probably get severely injured. If he's on a building that only has a ground level I believe that he would be okay for the most part.

An interesting note: My former band teacher actually threw a student out a window when the student had severely ticked the teacher off. This was back during the time when people were not as concerned about disciplinary issues as they are today.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My group and I discussed this one as well. We all agreed that a kid that jumps out a window definately has some kind of issue and that's where you should call in a counselor to get to the bottom of the situation. If they were just jumping out the window (on the first floor) just to be funny then...that's not okay but you as a teacher could deal with that one.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:57 am
All-star
All-star

What would I do? It depends, if it was a first floor window, I'd just send them to the office, a second story window, I'd call 911. I do not feel that teachers of any grade level are trained to deal with this kind of problem, nor should they be. This is a problem for the parents and the school psychologist. I'm not trying to be funny or a smart ass, but its just how I feel. I do feel that teachers should be made aware of this kind of problem and be informed on anything they can do to help the child in class. Other than this, let the trained professionals deal with it.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:47 pm
All-star
All-star

This actually did happen at my high school my senior year. My school was two levels and a student was given 20 dollars to jump out the window. Needless to say he was sent directly to the principals office and was suspended for a day.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Personally I think that would be a classroom management skills and I would hope that teachers would have enough control over their classroom to pervent somehting like that from happening. But if something like that was to happen then i would call the oiffice and depending on what level my classroom then i would i call 911

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:40 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]