View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Creationism v. Evolution 
All-star
All-star

This question kind of stems off of Katie's thread about prayer in school. I recently read an opinion piece in the Appalachian. The author gave his opinion about schools in Georgia not being allowed to teach Creationism along with Evolution, and the Georgia Supreme Court saying that stickers placed on science books saying Evolution is a theory not a law, is unconstitutional! What are your thoughts on this? If you would like to read the article, I will try to bring it to class on Wednesday night.

I agree with the author when he says that Evolution, even though it is accepted by many scientists to be the answer to how things came into being, it is filled flaws. Personally I believe that life was not an accident, it was designed by something greater than everything in existence. My reasoning for this is not only from my religious and cultural beliefs but also the fact that a person cannot see an atom with the naked eye, but they know it is there. This called faith, and you can have faith in other things besides a god. Why should the Great Spirit (God, Allah, Yahweh, Jehovah, and all the other names for god) be any different. I will not think any less of you if you disagree with me. I enjoy differences in opinions, they make life interesting. Sorry this is so long. My Bad.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I too think that the theory of evolution is filled with flaws. When it comes to teaching it in the classroom, I don't know the answer to that. It seems that you would have to teach the viewpoints of all religions as far as the belief in how the world came into being. So what do you do?
I also agree with your opinion of faith.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I think a teacher should be able to teach different views on this subject. There are many contradicting theories about many things in science, so why should this be any different?

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:06 am
All-star
All-star

I don't teach science, but I think we would be doing children a disservice to not at least present the theory of evolution, and stress that it is a theory. Kids need to know the field of ideas before they enter the world. How can they logically argue against it if they don't know the science behind it?

I also think we owe it to the kids to teach varying world religions, either in history or English. Most cultures have at least one creation story, and as Heath said, they usually relate back to a supreme being or beings.

Personally, I think that you can believe in God and evolution at the same time, so I don't see why people and school systems are still fighting over this issue. Darwin never tried to disprove a supreme being. (Some other dude took Darwin's work and tried to do that). Darwin stressed that animals adapt to their evinroment over space and time. (This is hard to ignore.)

Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:52 am
All-star
All-star

I definitely agree with Robin. I feel like that this topic should be handled just like any other topic that has multiple sides to it. I think that teachers should leave their opinions out of the lecture, but they should also make students aware that different people do believe very different things. Consequently, we do live in the Bible Belt. Most of the children entering our classrooms will have some preconceived notions about where humans came from. As a teacher, I want to respect these ideas, but I also want to encourage them to think outside of their boxes. Leave their comfort zones and explore new thoughts and ideas.

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Even though I may be against it, I feel that all sides of an issue should be seen, not just what I believe is important. It is said that the greatest way to improve what you believe is to take the exact opposite standpoint and try to disprove what you believe. Doing so will help you possibly see the flaws in your own logic and the flaws in the opposing side's logic as well.

Heath, I too believe in creationism and sometimes it is only my faith that gets my through the day.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:44 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Heath ~ I know exactly what you mean! I have wondered so many times...."Wow, and a bunch of atoms are being held together to hold me up in this chair." In biology I learned about a type of plant that when a caterpiller starts eating its leaves, a smell is produced, and it attracts wasps which inturn kill the caterpiller. How can something that perfect, in a way, not be created from a higher being? I agree with what you said as teaching Evolution as a theory. I think that the answer to this is (like others said before me) to teach it like a theory. It hasn't been proven true, nor has it been proven false. It is also important to (like Robin mentioned) to teach all types of religion. I remember in my high school sophomore english class, we examined Islam, Christanity, and Judaism. I think that this is a good start, but more should be done. If we want to teach tolerance and equality, we have to know where everyone is coming from, so teach about all religions!

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:53 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]