View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:21 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Writing Test for K? 
All-star
All-star

The state of NC now has a state test for K when is enough enough?

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:06 am
All-star
All-star

Enough is enough when the bureaucrats down in Raleigh get their minds in gear and actually think about some of the things they're doing and the long term effects of the actions that they take.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:54 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Having a writing test for Kindergartners is absolutly rediculous!!!! They are in KINDERGARTEN! I don't agree with it.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree. I think that having test for kindergarteners is so ridiculous. I think that these children should be allowed to play and learn when they first go into school, then having to worry about taking tests. They should not have to get upset about taking a test.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This absolutly blows my mind. I was not aware that they were beginning to test kindergarteners but I am completly opposed to this idea. When does the line get drawned and how do we let people know that what they are doing is not helping kids but actually hendering them at this young of an age. I dont know what those crazy people were thinking but they need to step back and look at what they are doing. I mean we are talking about six year olds being tested!! Whatever happened to play time and coloring and being a kid! If something doesn't change in the school system with all this emphasis on testing it is going to get ugly. All I can say is that I feel sorry for the kids and they have no say or part in this matter whatsoever.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with everyone else's posts. It is crazy to expect kindergartens to take tests. Kindergarten is a tough experience for many kids and the added stress of testing could make a situation that is already bad, a lot worse.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:56 pm
All-star
All-star

What kind of writing test are they required to take? I am just wondering even though I am opposed to testing that young of age. Does anyone know of any evidence that says this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know where I've been, but I did not even know that there was such a thing as writing tests for kindergartners. This is completely rediculous! I think I could barely write my name when I was five years old! What could they possibly have these children write about?

Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:21 pm
All-star
All-star

This is something new they are doing I am not sure about all details but it has do with sudetns drawing a picture to translate a story or the other way around but I will check and post more about it on here later

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that this is pretty crazy. I can understand the need for some standardized testing, but for kindergarteners???????? I really think we need to consider the fact that we are creating test anxiety at a really young age. I would like to hear more about what they are actually looking for in these tests!!!

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:50 pm
All-star
All-star

What I'm thinking is that if a teacher presents the test in a way that is not stressful, it should not be a big deal. I think it is important to see where students are in their skills. If a teacher doesn't spend the whole year saying, "You have to learn this for the end of grade test!", and scaring them, then the kids won't worry about it. Also, before I judge the writing test, I would find out what the test is like.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:49 pm
All-star
All-star

But Alissa, do you really think it is necessary to evaluate Kindergarteners?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:57 pm
All-star
All-star

(sorry, forgot to log-in) Yes, I do to some extent. I would just like to know exactly what evaluations they are doing before I pass judgement on them. Perhaps if I knew this information, I would decide that they are inappropriate. Until then, I will leave it up for discussion.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm with Kate on this one, I had no idea they had a writing test for kindergarteners. I know things are becoming so fast pace in our society, but I think this is way extreme.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The point is, children at this age have so little time to become standard. They are at the age that they are learning how to socialize and be away from home, they are breaking into the routine of 'school', how can they expect some sort of standard at this age.
I would like to know more about the specifics of the test.
On a similar note, one of the topics at the Education Summit was wheather or not to impliment No Child Left Behind in High School...just something else to think about!

Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:05 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 15 posts ]