View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:52 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Who should teach WHO? 
All-star
All-star

I really have been thinking that there is need for good black role models in the classroom. Do you think that it is more effective if Blacks teach Blacks?

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:28 am
All-star
All-star

I have mixed feelings on this. I believe that every child can learn, it just may not be in the way that is very obvious. I have had black teachers and white teachers. In both instances I thought that I had excellent instruction that prepared me for my future and for the current world. I also feel that black teachers teaching black students may have more of an innate bond goes beyond all comprehension. I feel that in my classroom that I will treat all students the same even if they do not belong to my ethnicity.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would hope that the students would learn from any teacher. I can defiantly understand that they would be more comfortable with a teacher of their own background though. I remember vividly being able to relate more to the teachers that I thought or knew were from the same place that I was from.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too have mixed emotions on this subject. I do agree that students can probably relate better to a teacher of their own race or background but I also believe that it is beneficial for kids to experience differences. School is a transition and a growing phase of our life and being exposed to all different backgrounds and races is all part of it. I am not too sure that this idea of Blacks teaching blacks would go over well in the schools or ever be allowed to happen. It is a fact that most teachers are white, middle-class females and I do feel like this needs to change. With so many minorities in the schools I believe it is equally important to have a diverse teaching staff in the schools. Teachers of different races, backgrounds and cultures give students an opportunity to relate to their teachers. I think that many minority children probably feel that they are at a disadvantage because they never have a teacher they can really relate to in terms of cuture or background.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I grew up in a very small town and my schools were very small as well. I only had white teachers, aside from my English teacher who was from Pakistan. With regrets I have to admit that I never have had a background of diversity. I have always been around white teachers and white students. I don't know how black teachers for black students would work out or whether it is for the better or the worse.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that as long as we can relate and have a working knowledge of the background and culture of our students, then we should, as teachers, be able to teach them and interact with them in positive ways. Given, somone who has grown up in that culture has a better chance of interaction, but I think with a bit of work, we should be able to teach the majority of students in our classes.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29 pm
All-star
All-star

One thing that i really would like to say is that for some reason when you have some you can realate to on diffferent levels that person comes in with a certain amount of respect. Is this some that can happen most likely not but should it happen i think it should. Often children from different back grounds see people linke them in a negative light but whne someone enters the classroom they are shinning a postive out look on life. I really believe that this could make a great impact on education.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:37 pm
All-star
All-star

Brandon, my fear here is that we may be heading towards teaching styles that are a little ethnocentric. We keep preaching equality and to me this sort of segregation is discounting that. I DO understand where you are coming from, but I wonder if it will do more damage than good in the long run. I think there are many ways to relate to a child beyond race. I was intrigued by this issue especially since I am planning to teach inner city children, where I will probably be the minority in the classroom much of the time. I absolutely want these children to know that they are just as capable of success as anyone else is. I hope that I can make a difference, and I do not feel that I could make a bigger difference if I was black or hispanic or any other minority. However, I DO intend to bring in role models from various races and backgrounds into my classroom. For example, I would want to bring in minorities who were successful business men or women, chefs, police officers, and from a wide variety of talents. I would love to discuss this with you further because I'm curious about some of your backing on this subject. I know that you said you ahd a friend you had been discussing it with in DC? I'm just curious to hear more about it because it intrigues me!

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:35 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]