View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:18 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Letterland, what do you think? 
All-star
All-star

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally have never heard of this before and I am a little confused as to what it is and how it works. It sounds like a cute idea but if anyone could put out some additional info ont this topic hopefully I can respond better to this post.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My teacher in block Janet Bloodgood said that it was nice to teach letters like that but when it comes to recognition of the actual letter, the student my have trouble with that because each letter has a character name. Not to say to teach that fun interactive way, but also you need to work with letter recongnition, it is the basics of phonics.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:48 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Never heard of it, but to what area does it apply? I mean for early elementary I can think it might work well, but what about recent immigrants whose children are of middle and high school levels?

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:27 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Both my children were taught with letterland concepts. They loved it! They got to draw pictures of Curious Cat, make his sound and later, put two characters together with phonics, like, "Ch". They knew their letters way before school, but they enjoyed the reinforcement and still remember some of the characters. It seems to work... but I think it is for the primary grades.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I went to Kindergarten in Omaha, Nebraska and we watched "The Letter People" TV show daily. I loved it, and still remember it vividly. There was Obstinate O, Tall Teeth T, and I loved it. I'm not sure how much it actually enriched my knowledge of the alphabet, but I definitely enjoyed the show. I'd be interested to hear more about its effectiveness.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:16 pm
All-star
All-star

i have personally never heard of this before, but my teacher for practicum uses this with her students, and if i find out more or how she uses it, i will post some more.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Letter Land really is a good phonics program for the younger grades. It works by teaching children characters and the character names make the letters sound. Children can learn the sounds better and fast becasue they can remember Clever Cat and use that sound better than they can remember what sound the C makes. BUT, like with any program it needs reniforcement, you can not use this program alone. You will need a reading program as well. IF you don't know about it check it out. Wautagua schools use this program, so if you are interested try to go visit and see it.
Oh by the way it is not that expensive either. It is about 300.00 for the started kit and that gives you the basics you need to teach it.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:38 pm
All-star
All-star

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:51 pm
All-star
All-star

here is a link that my practicum teacher sent me about letterland. after discussing the idea of creating pictures to go with the letters, we created a bunch of our own, and when i went to the website, the pictures seemed to take over the letter, and in our block our professor said that the letter needed to be the most clear....i think it is what ever you want to do with it. if you have the money to use it, it may be a good source, but you can create you own for free!

http://www.letterland.com/

happy hunting!

Last edited by Hannah Bailey on Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Before my reading class with Dr. Bloodgood, I had never heard of Letterland before. I don't ever remember using it when I was in elementary school. While it seems like a really good concept and really fun to do, I have to agree that you need to make sure students know what each of the letters are without associating with a funny name. Some students might only know those funny names for the letters, and may not really understand what they are doing with they are playing in Letterland. Teachers need to make sure that while they are using Letterland, they aslo teach them just the letters and use Letterland as a reinforcement tool to help students learn.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's GREAT for learning literacy. Like Summer mentioned, I learned by "The Letter People". We were introduced to a new letter person every week. In kindergarten we even put on a play.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's GREAT for learning literacy. Like Summer mentioned, I learned by "The Letter People". We were introduced to a new letter person every week. In kindergarten we even put on a play.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:50 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]