View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:49 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 What would you do if a child refused to do an assignment?? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In class we discussed different scenerios dealing with the classroom. What scenerio touched your group the most? What do you think??? In my group we discussed a lot about if a student refused to do an assignment. I suggested to talk to the student and see what was going on and why they didn't want to do the assignment. It really depends on the subject. I do think it is important to understand why????

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:34 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree that it is very important for teachers to question students who refuse to do their assignment. With this information, a teacher can determine what needs to be done.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it depends on the level that you are dealing with. Yes, I agree that it is important to question the student to make sure that nothing serious is going on in their lives, but if you are in a high school class, these students have learned how school works....they started in kindergarten and on up, and I think that there should be some sort of consequences in the upper grades. I think that you should talk to all students just to make sure, but if you do not teach your students that work is important (because of life in the real world...teachers have to submit lesson plans, and there are consequences if they are late, etc.) then that could lead to more problems in the upper grade levels.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I am a secondary ed. major so if a student refused to do an assignment, I believe that I would inform the student that he or she was going to get a corresponding grade for not doing the assignment. Teenagers say that they want more freedom, and I for one believe in giving them more freedom. However, freedom comes with responsibility. If they choose not to do their assignment, then they have thrown off their responsibility and will more than likely reap the consequences of that action. I really like the line in the recent movie Spiderman where Uncle Ben tells Peter "with great power comes great responsibility," and I believe that the power of freedom is one of the greatest powers a person can have.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:05 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

In addition, I am not going to spend my ninety-minute block period trying to figure out what is wrong with Johnny or Amanda. I think doing so would be a disservice to the rest of the class.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:06 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

after talking with Dr. Turner i realized that there are many reasons why a student may not want to do something. It is our job to meet the student half way and come to a understanding of each student and their needs

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:31 pm
All-star
All-star

First I ask them why. Sometimes they just don't feel well or sometimes they are lazy. If they are merely being lazy, I ask them to write on a piece of paper that they choose not to do the assignment, date and sign it. I tell them I will keep this on file when their parent/guardian asks why they have a zero. After given this option, 100% of the time the kids will choose to do the assignment. (Someone gave me this tip and it works every time!)

As far as homework goes, if it doesn't get done, it's a zero. I tell my kids that it is much easier for me to enter a 0 than a 100 and give them the choice.

Lots of times students have issues going on at home that affect their performances in the classroom. Sickness, abuse, poverty, neglect; the list goes on....I believe it is important to rule these out before you give the kid a zero.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:17 pm
All-star
All-star

Robin, thanks for that tip...I think it's a great idea on how to deal with the issue. I also think that it IS most definitely part of our responsibility as teachers to find out why I student is rejecting an assignment. I do think that laziness is always an option, and one we can relate to...I mean haven't we all not wanted to do an assignment before???? However, you have no idea what these kids go home to on a daily basis, and maybe they simply can't focus on academics where there is a much more important issue that concerns them. I think a truly effective instructor shows that care for his/her students, and I think it creates a better classroom. I could understand why you may not want to disrupt the flow during classtime, but at some point the issue should be addressed.

I did enjoy the discussions in small groups, it gave me some insight on many topics. I was really interested to hear that Dr. Turner had experienced all of the situations, and I'm hoping she'll let us know how she reacted to them in our next class.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I can relate to some students not wanting to do assignments. When I was in high school, I had ELP (now its Civics and Economics) and I refused to do any homework, like worksheets, because I knew all the material already and plus, I had the worst case of senioritis ever. The teacher pulled me aside one day in class and he asked me why I never did the homework assignments. When I gave him my explanation, he responded by saying, well, if you already know it, just fill out the assignment, it will only take you a few minutes. He said the reason he pulled me aside was because I made perfect scores or close to perfect scores on all of the tests and quizzes for that class. He did not want to see me fail his class, because of something stupid, like refusing to do homework. This worked for me, and it may work for some other students too. I would like to take this road before giving up on the student, because this particular teacher wouldn't give up on me. I think that teachers should at least make an effort to find out why a student refuses to do an assignment. If this doesn't work, then its on the student, because you made the effort and they didn't respond.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with many of the abover posts that it is very important to try to understand why the student has decided not to do the assignment. When talking to the student I think that it is also important to make sure they understand the consequences and the move on. I don't think that you should spend a whole class period trying to convince them to complete the assignment.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:31 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]