View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Teaching and the Red Tape 
All-star
All-star

I recently had a teacher speak with my reading in content areas class. She told us that we must teach three years before we recieve a teacher licensure that is fully certified. When we finish college and for those first three years of teaching we have a probational license. I was just wondering how people felt about this. I also wanted to know if anyone had any other interesting aspects to the red tape that we must go through to become a teacher.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:27 am
All-star
All-star

I think that it is not right that we have to have a probational license for three years. One year I can understand because of the lack of experience in the classroom. I can go so far as even two years because you are still getting your feet wet. Three years is too long a period for a probational license. Red tape clogs up the educational system, especially when the local superintendent messes everything p with a crazy idea. Superintendent in my county proposed a number of changes to the school system, much of which I will not go into. However, I think that only when school officials get into the schools and actually want to do something to help the students, then and only then can red tape actually go to carry out functions that will be beneficial.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:37 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I really think that is a great idea because one of the problems that I see with school systems is that we are just feeling seats . THis way to inusre that you get a full license you have to prove that you are a good teacher. Remember that we are dealing with childrens lives so we must make sure that the right people are doing job

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Brandon to an extent, but essentially the state says, your education degree means nothing. They put you through a series of workshops, evaluations, etc.. that are mostly repetitive of what you learned in school anyway. You have to go to extra meetings, and do all sorts of things when you are trying to balance your first year of teaching. They should be helping you, not adding to the stress. Yes, we need to be professional and accountable, but there has to be a more humane way to assess beginning teachers than what we have now.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can understand why the state may be sketched out about newly graduated students. In many instances, these people are between the ages of 22-25. This is so young to me! I am only 20 years old and my friends and I have often discussed how crazy it is that we are so young and making such big life decisions (ie: what we are going to do for the rest of our life).

However, I deffinitely see what Robin is saying about how the "red tape" that the state puts on newly graduated teachers discounts our degree. Like I said before, I can understand a short period of time where newly graduated teachers have to "prove themselves," but I feel as though 3 years is rather excessive.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that the 3 year period is sort of a system of checks and balances. I think if you are doing your job you have nothing to worry about. Although I understand Robin's point about it taking the significance of our college degrees away. However, I think 3 years gives us time to really settle into our teaching styles and philosophies.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:25 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]