View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Where's everyone going? 
All-star
All-star

I find it interesting that so many teachers are leaving the field of education after their first or second year of teaching? And it seems as if more and more are leaving every year. I know not everyone is cut out to work in the field of education but I was just curious as to why so many are leaving and where are they going? Is it the $$$? Is it the stress? Is it the parents? I know that teaching has it's ups and it's downs too! And alot may depend on that particular person as to why they are getting out while they can, but after paying for four years of college, and now leaving it all behind? Do you know people who have done this? Just curious as to what situations you may know of! :wink:

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I've included it a post before, but one of my friends left largely due to stress caused by parents.

I've also seen and heard from many Teaching Fellows that they intend to "serve their sentence" and get out, that they merely did Teaching Fellows to get the free ride.

I think all of the factors you listed are parts of it, and I think it's probably different things for different people. I know a friend who is student teaching now, and is already making plans to go to law school because she said it's just too much work for too little pay. I think some people question their dedication after they see what really happens in a classroom, and I guarantee that some of us will be part of those statistics, unfortunately.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:45 pm
All-star
All-star

i think like you said Katie...some people are just more cut out for teaching than others. A friend of mine went to Elon and taught for one year and then went to seminary. My fiance asked me one time if I would ever stay at home to raise kids or do whatever instead of teaching, and I looked at him like he was crazy! I want to teach and I want to do it till I die! I have wondered here recently if I did not like it in the classroom (with little kids), would I move to the college level and teach teachers how to teach, or something like that. Summer, I have heard it from Teaching Fellows as well. I know of a few right now who said that they were not going to teach and two have dropped the scholarship. However, Teaching Fellows is not a free ride through college...I know that a huge chunk is lifted, but its not free, and there is a lot more stuff to it than the money. More committments, more hours, etc...

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I know that I will not always be in public education, but that I will always be an instructor in something. I believe that I am destined for misson work, but it is the teaching experience that I am building on. I do not leave the education field because of the money, parents, or anything else. In fact, I will probably have those issues and more. A missionary looks after more than just the spiritual needs of the group he or she ministers to, but their physical needs as well. Teaching is just a stepping stone on my road of life. Teachers and preachers are two occupations that get paid the least, blamed the most, and make a difference for history.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

The statistics are greatly against teachers staying in the field, and I think this is a major concern. I feel that some people during their first years of teaching didn't really know what they were getting themselves into. I feel that some stuff we will do during block 1 and 2 plus the student teaching really doesn't give the prospective teachers a chance to really understand how hard a job teaching is going to be. I have worked at a the Lake Norman YMCA for 5 years teachign gymnastics and working at the summer camps. For 4 of those years I taught summer camps --> you are with those kids for 8 hours a day, everyday teaching them, playing with them, swimming with them and helping them. I feel that without more experience with kids, the activities we do in college is not enough to determine if this is the right job for you. To really be a teacher, the most important thing is enjoying your job and ENJOYING THE KIDS. some people i talk to that are in the education program dont even like kids! i mean seriously now, why would you pick a career where you will be spending more time with kids than you will with anyone else?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also think that is a combination of money, stress, and parents. For an example I have a friend that was a teaching fellow and taught her four years and then immediately quit. Although I think hers had nothing to do with the money. She couldn't put up with all the parents and stress that came along with the job. However now she has started back teaching and I think as started to handle the position better.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is a combination of all three things, money, stress, and parents. First and even second year teachers can't deal with the stress and the parents. When we become teachers, we have to remember that the first few years are going to be tough, but each year is going to get easier as we get setteled in to our job and find out a little more about it. I don't think you need to quit after just a year of teaching. I could see after maybe three years of teaching, you find that you don't like what you are doing and you quit. If a teacher is thinking about quitting his/her job as a teacher, maybe they first need to try to find a different school to teach at. Sometimes that can help.[/code]

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it is also a combination of things such as money and stress. In my case I hope to leave high school level after a year or two so that I myself can go back to school and hopefully get my masters and doctorate in recent US history so that I can teach college level and research. In my case, I think that some people leave education because they desire to recieve more education themselves.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:50 am
All-star
All-star

I think that obviously everyone has their own reasons. I know of a teacher that quit, because her students caused her a lot of heart-ache. She taught at a school with a lot of poor students. A lot of her physical and emotional energy went into them. It wore down on her, and eventually she felt like she had to quit, because of the emotional state it put her in. I think another reason might be that teachers decide to stay at home with their children and invest in them.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, Alissa. My sister taught for six years, and loved it. She had her second child in September. After she weighed the cost of daycare, she decided to stay home with the kids. She was going to only take half the year, but now she is considering taking nex t year off too...I think eventually she will go back to teaching, but I am sure not everyone does.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It logged me out... So, I added to my post :D

I also think that all the reasons you have listed contribute to so many teachers leaving the profession. I also knew a lady who was a teacher for several years and then had children and decided to be a stay at home mom. She did this for a while because her second child was diagnosed with a learning disability and she wanted to work with him as much as possible. She is now working within a school with children that have learning disabilities. As for me, I know that I definately want to teach but later I might choose to become a school counselor, but who knows?

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:06 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]