View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Companies moving overseas??? 
All-star
All-star

With companies moving their businesses overseas - do these companies actually realize what they are doing to our economy? Do they ignore child labor laws (or do other countries not have any?)? Do they just look the other way? Maybe we should consider the fact that a kid (1st grade) could have helped sew our shoes together for a nickle (or less!!!!) when we go and buy stuff. The picture of the little child making softballs really made me feel bad!! :x

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Hannah I have mixed feelings about this issue. Unfortunately we live in a world today in which people know the right thing to do and they do not do it. They are consumed by the almighty dollar and their greed for it. For instance look at the Nike company and the sweat shops that are present on the other side of the world. On the other side of the coin, by moving overseas the companies help to spread new ideas and ways to manufacture goods. In itself, the economies of poor countries are being improved because of cheap labor. Bangledesh is an extremely poor country, but because of companies moving there it attracts workers and improves their economy.

The basic question is this: What cost are you willing to pay in order to increase the standing of your country's economy?

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I can understand why companies would be attracted to overseas factories. They allow for a more competitive market here. People are more likely to buy the more economical products. Now morally I have a very strong objection to that. I try to stay away from products that I know use sweatshops, although I'm sure I don't know about all of them. The idea of young children working in horrific working conditions to make our lives more convienient is an awful thing to think about, and I wish it wasn't true. I can't imagine stifling a child's life in a factory instead of out playing. It's awful how little these people are paid. I would hope that one day we could rid the world of this practice, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime. I know I don't have much money, but I would pay extra costs to keep kids out of factories. The problem is getting the rest of American consumers to follow suit.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am really scared about what is going to happen here in the U.S. if companies keep moving out. I am afraid the unemplyment will be a big problem and as educators we need to be worried about what the kids from these households are going thru. I feel the solution is in the Government. If they would just put an import tax on everything it would really help our economy and companies would be less likely to move out.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Summer said that she tries to stay away from products that she knows uses sweatshops...can someone please inform me of some out of curiosity. I know of a few (nike especially) but what are some others?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the companies are just trying to get everything at a cheaper price, and I probably would too. But they aren't looking at the consequences because if they take away all the jobs then people won't be able to afford the products they are having made.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 pm
All-star
All-star

It is a sad but true fact that companies are doing what makes sense when they send companies overseas, they are making more money. Child labor and sweatshops are wrong but this sort of injustice will continue because there is $$$$$ involved. :(

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:53 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]