View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Smoking 
All-star
All-star

This is my soapbox! While stopped at the light by Wal Mart yesterday I looked to my right and there was a car with 2 young children in the back (maybe a 2 year old and a 4 year old). The 2 parents in the front were both smoking with the window cracked about an inch. I was outraged! If you want to smoke I don't have a problem with that because it is your own choice, but for children to be in the car with no fresh air is not their choice. It is harmful to them and irresponsible of the parent to put their own wants in front of a childs health! :x What do yall think?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I can top that...I went out to a bar on Saturday night with a bunch of friends to catch up. We were there a little early, and I knew it was a big ski weekend so there were still a lot of families in there getting something to eat. As time went on and people filtered out, I noticed this couple (who was there before we were) with a little girl. I'm thinking this girl was maybe 6ish. Anyways, they are sitting in a booth smoking and getting drunk. When the bar closed at 2am, they were still there after we left with the little girl. My fiance had to keep telling me to calm down, and that it wasn't my place to say something. I was furious. This little girl is trapped in a very smokey place watching her guardians get hammered. It made me feel so awful. I tried to rationalize it as maybe they were from a different culture or something, but I just couldn't make sense of it. I know that my little sister has asthma and if she is around AND smoke, she can have a violent attack. So...yes I can completely understand your argument there. It is definitely something I feel strongly about as well.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with ya'll about the second hand smoke issue. I totally agree that smoking is a personal choice and I deffinitely know from first hand experience that it is hard to quit, but I think that it is selfish and totally wrong to put someone else's health in danger for your habits. Neither of my parents smoke, so luckily I never had to deal with this issue as a child in my house, but I had a lot of friends who had a parent or both parents that smoked. Some of these parents smoked in their house and others went outside any time they wanted to light up. I deffinitely think that going outside is a better option. However it seems that nearly all of my friends who have a parent or both parents who are heavy smokers never smoked themselves. I always found this so interresting since many of them grew up around the smoke, but I think they got turned off to it at such a young age.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:33 am
All-star
All-star

I hate to see parents smoking with their children with them recieving second hand smoke. I was recently at a bowling ally when I saw a parent with a newborn and they were holding the baby and smoking. In my opinion it should be considered child abuse.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:39 am
All-star
All-star

Second-hand smoke upsets me a lot as well. Not only with children, but also for myself. I wonder if some people simply are not educated about the dangers of second-hand smoke? That's why I think it is important to tell our students that choosing to smoke affects more people's health than their own.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:34 pm
All-star
All-star

i agree with Alissa. not only is it detrimental to children's health, but also to our own. i used to smoke a pack of cigerettes a day. i haven't smoked for over 2 yrs, and now, i can barely stand going out to a bar. it makes me wonder why i even quit. i inhale so much second hand smoke that it literally makes me sick to my stomach. i have definitely become a non-smoking environment kinda girl. i think that all public places should be smoke free. if smokers had to go outside to smoke, maybe it would encourage them to smoke less. i also think that there should be child safety laws implemented on second-hand smoke.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I smoked close to a pack a day for 8 years before quitting over 3 years ago. I still work and hang out in bars and bar type atmospheres, but it is by my own choice. An infant or even a young teenager has no choice in where their parents go to eat. And although I disagree with the state making the choice of whether a public restaurant is smoking or non-smoking, I do agree that second hand smoke is bad for ones health.

One additional note, if a place is non-smoking, why do smokers smoke right outside the front door so everyone who comes and goes from that place has to breathe their smoke? Just a question that doesn't make sense to me.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I worked in a grocery store for 4 years in a not-so-rich town. I've seen numerous parents deny their kids a piece of candy followed by "Go get me a pack of Marlboro's" This upsets me so much. You don't want your kids to rot their teeth out, but you're willing to let them breath something that could kill them?

I agree with you all, parents need to take a responsibility with their smoking habits. Another soapbox would be the idea of parents BUYING their kids cigarettes... *sighs* Irresponsible and dangerous.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:08 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]