View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Corporal Punishment 
All-star
All-star

In my Psych of Personality class, we were talking about schools and my professor asked us if we had corporal punishment in our classrooms for elementary school. To my surprise, about 10 people raised their hands. I had no idea that had still went on when I was in elementary school. My elementary school didn't have that. If we were in trouble we were either sent to the office, name on the board, or note home to parents. I didn't know people were spanked or hit with a ruler. I knew it went on years and years ago when my mom and dad were in school but I didn't know it still went on. Was anyone else clueless to this like I was? Did anyones schools have corporal punishment?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I did have this in my elementary school but it was only for few years before it was stopped. There was certain teachers that would paddle students or if you were in another class your teacher could send you to that teacher if they wanted to. Although it was like they beat us but if you were punished you would be hit 3 times with the paddle. I honestly think it was more embarassing than anything.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:41 pm
All-star
All-star

When I was in elementary school in the 80s, this was a common practice, here in Watauga County. They were still using it in the high school in the late 80s. I honestly thought it was illegal now in NC. I am shocked that this is still around. My stepdaughter lives in SC and they still have corporal punishment in most of the schools there.

I can also say from experience, CP doesn't really deter kids. The pain is short lived and is often preferable to a week of detention. This needs to be outlawed. It is inhumane and degrading. If a parent slaps a child's behind in the grocery store, people call social services, but it is OK for teachers to hit kids? Come on!

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:10 pm
All-star
All-star

i am not sure what to think about it. i was never spanked in school, but you better believe if mom found out that i did something at schoool that was really bad, i was going to get spanked. in my experience, i think grounding is a waste of time. in schools, in Alamance county i think that they still allow cp, but only with the parent's consent. i think that the punishment should fit the crime. i think that students should be taught that there are consequences for every action (good or bad).

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Corporal punishment was part of my school's disciplinary actions. However, parental consent forms were sent out to be signed at the beginning of the year. My mom absolutely refused to sign it, and in fact would generally write some sort of protest on the form. Strangely enough, I was one of very few who's parents did NOT sign the form. I think hitting a child is awful. I do not intend to spank my children, and I have spent a lot of time talking to a parent who does not spank to find out effective discipline that doesn't involve a violent encounter. I just think that in a society where we preach how wrong violence is, we should negate bad behavior with it. I know people will probably disagree with me on the spanking thing. Yes, I was spanked, and I'm OK. I just remember the confusing ritual that surrounded it. Back on topic, yes we had corporal punishment, and NO I do not agree with it one bit.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I never had to deal with corporal punishment in school. In fact, in Mecklenberg County where I went to school, there is not supposed to be any physical contact between teachers and students at all what so ever. I had always heard of corporal punishment, but I was like a lot of you all in that I thought it was a thing of the past. I was talking with one of my sorority sisters about her practicum experience when she was in block 1 (which I am in now). She did her practicum in Lenior and she told me that her teacher would regularly send students down to the principal's office to get spanked. I was floored that this was even still going on today anywhere! My question is, what do you do if your school encourages corporal punishment and you are totally against it?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:38 am
All-star
All-star

I had this punishment in my elementary school and I know that it still is present. They now send letters home to the parents to tell them that they have the choice of allowing their child to be paddled if they get into trouble. The parent must consent to the punishment for it to take place.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:41 am
All-star
All-star

In my middle school students could chose between having a "paddling" or having in school suspension...so corporal punishment was used, but not forced. Some students chose the paddling, because it was quick. Others opted for the in school suspension, because they could still get their work done while "looking cool."

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:32 pm
All-star
All-star

in my elem school, corporal punishment was definitely around. my school, like some of the others, sent home consent forms to the parents. my mother never spanked me and so she was for sure not about to let the school be in charge of my discipline. i can remember in my PE class, Coach D had a whistle named Ralph and a paddle named Heat. if you were unruly or out of line, Coach D would jerk you up by your arm and paddle your a**. I witnessed this on more than one occassion. i'm not sure if he knew about consent forms or not-

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:15 pm
All-star
All-star

In my K-8 school in LA, we were paddled by the principal, but as some of the others have said, it was more embarrassing than anything. My high school here in NC was a bit different though, we had "chill out" which was in-school suspension. This was a joke for most of us, because the "teacher" was one of the coaches and was not qualified to teach anything; and he allowed any of the athletes to basically do what we wanted to do during our time in suspension. I definitely think paddling is a parental choice, and schools should not use it. Even though I have been paddled, both in school and at home (not often though), I have nothing against it in moderation. My dad used it as a deterant for my brother and me, and trust me, we never wanted to cross dad.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:37 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]