View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Graduate School? 
All-star
All-star

I was just wondering if anyone is planning on going to graduate school? If so what are you thinking about going into and where do you want to go?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:56 am
All-star
All-star

grad school keeps sounding better and better. i am definitely going but i am not sure what for yet. i may continue on in history depending upon the usefullness of the degree in my career, or I may go into administration. at this point i really don't know, but i should know a little more after student teaching.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a plan to go, but I'm going to take a few years off from going to school and teach first to get a better handle on exactly what I want to go for. Right now, I am leaning towards grad school in adaptive physical education, but I may change my mind after teaching for a few years. Only time will tell.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Graduate school is definitley something that I am planning to do. However, I think that I will find it more valuable and benificial if I wait for a few years and teach. I think that after I spend a few years teaching I will have more of a grasp on what I plan to study in graduate school. Also, my advisor has told me that it is better to wait because there are more opportunites to get grants and scholarships to pay for graduate school after you have spent some time teaching. I went to a PTMA meeting recently where a principal from one of the high schools in the area was the speaker. He told us that because he went to graduate school, he will end up making a significanly more money than he would have if he did not go.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Graduate school is definetly something that I want to do. Up until recently I had plans on going straight through and getting my master's but I think these plans have changed. Several people have advised me that it is a good idea to teach for a few years and decide exactly what you want to do and then go back to school. Like Kate said, after teaching for a while there is a better chance for grants and scholarships. I personally feel this is the route I will take just so I can be positive in what area I want to be certified. I also heard the principal speak that was from the high-school and he made a great point in that the money is always better with a graduate degree. Since teaching doesn't pay all that well in the first place any supplemental money would be nice!! :D

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I will hopefully be attending a graduate school to get a masters degree in Ethnomusicology. *It's the study of people, their culture, and how music pertains to their culutre*

It's a relatively new field that started in the 1800's as a way to "observe" cultures different from the Western World, but I wan tto focus on getting to know what kind of cultures predominate our own home cities in the U.S.

I do want to spend some time teaching, since this is my first educational love. But I feel like this is the field I'm meant to work in.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Is it true that graduate school may be easier if you have some sort of teaching experience to base stuff on? I would like to teach for a few years, get my masters, and teach in a local college or something for teacher preparation. Who knows!

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:49 pm
All-star
All-star

More than likely I will eventually go to grad school. However, I want to gain some field experience first. Then maybe I can decide what direction I would like grad school to take me.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Grad school is DEFINITELY in my plans but I think I would like to teach a year or so to decide exactly what I want to go for. Some school systems will pay for a teacher to go back to school and I would like to see if that could happen also :wink: !!!!

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that I am going to teach for a few years and then try to go back to grad school. In my county(Gaston) if you teach for a few years the school board will select a certain number of people and help you pay to go back. I also want some experience so that when I go back I can apply what I have learned from teaching into what I am doing in my classes. I think that when I go back I would like to try to go to UNC Charlotte bc it is about 30 minutes from me and I would like to do something in the field of history or counseling.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I am trying to go University of maryland College Park for a masters in Educational Leadership

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am still trying to decide. You can do a graduate assistance program here where you teach some classes while taking class and the cost is soo much less than if you just went to grad school, but I am not sure I can go straight back to school after graduation. On the other hand I am afraid that once I start teaching and maybe have kids I will not be as motivated to come back. Just a word of advice, make sure you are thinking about recommendation now form your professors. You will need them.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definatly have graduate school in my future. The thing I dont know about though is wherether I will continue history or go into administration. Once this is decided I'll be set. Maybe a year or two of teaching first would help.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:57 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]