View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Where to teach? 
All-star
All-star

I was curious about where all of you are planning to teach. Do you want to go to a public school? Do you want to teach in a city, suburbs, or rural area? What about private schools or teaching overseas?...and Why?

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess I deffinitly see myself going back to my county (Mecklenberg) or a neighboring county to teach at first. I plan on going back and doing my student teaching in Mecklenberg county and I kind of see myself staying there for a little while. However, I am really open to trying new things and teaching in different places. I am really interrested in looking into teaching in a different country and I am working towards doing the International student teaching program, so you never know that could open the door for me!

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Well, I've mentioned before that I want to do inner city. I think that first I will be going back to Greensboro with my fiance. I think after I get used to a more urban setting, that I am actually looking at a really amazing alternative program in the Bronx. I have a few options I'm looking at, but all I know is that I want to work in a really diverse classroom. I want to help kids who are normally made to feel as though they are part of a never ending cycle. That's my thing...

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am doing my student teaching in Watuaga County but soon after that I plan on going back home (Montgomery County) to teach or at least to one of the neighboring counties. There are 2 private schools close to my home but I don't think I could ever teach at either of them.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:07 pm
All-star
All-star

It's interesting because I was thinking about the same question last night Allissa! I am not exactly positive where I am going to end up teaching, it's still up in the air right now. I have considered possibly doing my student teaching abroad in England, or possibly doing it in Watauga County. There are several teachers back home and even principles whom are encouraging and even offered me a job if I came home to teach but I'm not sure I want to teach in the same school system as my parents for several different reasons (for example, I want to have my own identity and not be known as so and so's daughter). My past two church pastors have really tried to encourage me to study Christian Education and possibly teach at a private/ church school, but I'm not too sure about that either. I guess the good thing about education is that you have an obundance of options. It's scary to not know for sure where I'm going, but I do know that I want to teach! :wink:

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I plan on going back to my hometown (Alexander County) and doing my student teaching there. If everything works out right, this will be where I will be for my first teaching job. I don't want to move to far away, because all of my family lives in Alexander County. I actually wouldn't mind going and teaching in neighboring counties, such as Catawba, or even Caldwell. As long as I am close to my family right now, I don't care.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:48 am
All-star
All-star

I too am also planning to go back to my home town to student teach (Iredell county) in Mooresville. My neighbor teaches at the elementary school and I would love to student teach for her because I think she will be really helpful and help me with great ideas or problems I am having. I also wouldn't mind teaching in Mecklenberg county because its pretty close to home too.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:42 am
All-star
All-star

I know I will not be teaching in the county where I went to high school out. I am student teaching up here, but after that, I am pretty open to where ever, as long as I like the school itself and the other teachers and faculty.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know my student teaching will be done here in Watauga this time next year. But after that I think I’ll try to work a few years just outside of Raleigh to get the feel of things before moving somewhere closer to the coast. It defiantly depends on the towns nearby and the attitudes of the schools though.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:51 am
All-star
All-star

I think that I will be doing my student teaching either here of home(Guilford County), although, I will not teach in Guilford county. There is too much politics within the school board, and schools. I would really like to stay close to home, but I also would love to teach at Fort Bragg. The only good thing about Guilford County is that for teacher of the year, they get a new car from the Toyota dealership. It depends on where my fiance gets a job at too.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I will be student teaching this fall in either Burke or Catawba County. I am from Burke County and I definitely want to be close to my family. I am not real sure what the future holds for me. I am toying with the notion of applying for a job at Broughton Hospital in Morganton. There is a school on the campus for all of the patients that are school age. There are only 7 teachers and I'm thinking the new principle is going to be a close friend of mine. There are no pressures of testing because the patients change frequently. The starting salary is also higher than the public school system. Who knows. I could love student teaching in public schools so much that I decide to stay there. Alissa, I am curious about where you want to end up at.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:35 am
All-star
All-star

I've thought about this quite a bit actually. And even though I feel that I would be "more comfortable" in a neighborhood that I have grown up in... I also feel challenges in a person's life will make them grow. I think inner city schools would be a challenge, but not far from successful reach.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not totally sure where I will end up but I will be student teaching, hopefully, in Forsyth county where I am from. I may start out teaching in my home town or somewhere close by, but who knows where I will end up. I do want to teach in the public schools but I dont really have a preference on the specifics of the school. Different types of schools in different areas would be a great experience but also a challenge at that! I am pretty open to things and would give most anything a try.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I would have to say that I just hope to find a job. If I could choose I would desire to find a teaching position that is close to Chapel Hill because I would like to continue my education and hopefully get a masters and a doctorate in recent US history.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am looking to live close to a big city but be able to teach in the suburbs or a rural setting. Somewhere like Cary or Apex is a good example. I think these should be a safe bet to get a more stable classroom. This would also let me be close to the universities so that I could get my masters on the side while teaching.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am planning on going back and teaching in Alexander County, which is about 45 min away from Boone. I want to go back there because that is where I was raised and I really enjoy the rural setting. Plus, I have already started talking to the superintendent and we are going to be talking about job openings in May :D !!!

Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am going to go home (Gastonia) and teach in the public school system. I really want to teach at my old elementary school. I would also like to go back there so that I can be close to my mom and family. I really like the school system there and would like to settle down there if possible.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Since I am from Tennessee and I am getting my teaching education in North Carolina I would really like to stay here. I would love to teach here in Watauga County if at all possible. Who knows we will see what happens in the future. :D

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:43 pm
All-star
All-star

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:30 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 19 posts ]