View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Video on the Canadian Indian Schools 
All-star
All-star

What were your reactions to this video?

I was aware of these kinds of schools in the U.S. they weren't much better, if any bit better, than those in Canada. I found the acts of these "religious" leaders to be very appalling. It sickens me to the very core of my soul that people who claim to be "of God" could do such horrible things. Then I realized that these same people are still doing this kind of crap today. Look at all that has occured recently with the Catholic Priests in America. The schools themselves were also very sickening to me and it hurts to think that my relatives may have had to go through the same thing. I think that the Indian schools in America should be exposed for what they really were as well. I think this video was good because it exposes just how Native Americans were and still are treated by both the U.S. and Canada.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I too was absolutely appalled by the video. They treated these children worse than animals. It boggles the mind how cruel humans can be to other humans. I don't understand that sort of demented mindset. I too think that these schools should most definitely be exposed...especially if the are still around today, but I think it is always important to look at our history so we not only know where we came from but how to prevent it from reoccuring. As repulsed as I was by the video, I was glad to have seen it.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A great book to check out is Lakota Woman by Mary Brave Bird. She tell her life story, which includes her experience at American schools, along with endless examples of contemporary injustices that her and her people have experienced.
It is also a great teaching tool, it is her journey back to her people and culture, learning her native customs and language that were forbidden/forgotten/unavailable as she was growing up.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that the video was aweful, but I still have to think of all the horrible things that happened to the Native Americans whose land white Europeans stole and herded them off of like they were animals. To make them "white" they destroyed their history, heritage, and lifestyles. I hate American history, because of what happened not only with slaves, but how the white Europeans built America by eliminating everyone that got in their way! :x

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:36 pm
All-star
All-star

heath i am not at all surprised by your posting. i was actually thinking about you while i was watching the video. the video was all too real for me. it made me sick to my stomach to watch how the native americans were treated by the canadian govt. i realize that US native americans have also sufferred injustices at the hands of our benevolent govt. i would just like to say that it has been a real pleasure having you, Heath, in my classes this semester. your comments and viewpoints are well taken and i think that you have made me more aware. this awareness will carry with me through my teaching career!

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:43 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]