View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Achievement or Aptitude? 
All-star
All-star

I know we covered this, but I was thinking about this and came up with the following.

When we assess our students, whould it be based on their aptitude to learn and improve or on thier achievement (group and/or indivdual based)? Do we base it on age, s.e.s., race, gender, cultural background? Can we treat students differently based on any or all of these?

My personal opinion is that we assess on both according to our student's age because a 1st grader is unable to comprehend subjects a 6th grader would have no problem with. Also, if we can vary the assessments within a class to accomodate all learners; then we can evaluate each student's aptitude in a given subject area, as well as achievment based on individual improvement in the same subject area. I also believe that we can compare each student to a generalize criteria as long as the critieria has a range of possible passing scores.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you on this. A student who isn't doing well in one subject always has room for improvement, therefore we should not hold it against them if they are not an outright genius at certain subjects.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Students should be assessed by their age level. We should not expect a seventh grade level of mental ability if the child is only in fifth grade.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:52 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]